Prologue

𝗗𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘆

𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲

They said the end is coming
Everyone's up to something
I find myself running home to your
Sweet nothings.

They said the end is comingEveryone's up to somethingI find myself running home to yourSweet nothings

Birmingham, 31 March 2022

The music was playing loud through all the speakers scattered around the mansion, people danced carefree, now almost all drunk or high. It was mostly a mess, with bottles and glasses scattered around the floor, almost obscured by the neon lights and smoky air. The typical party in the mansion of the Edwards siblings, held every last Friday of the month, where everyone went wild and sometimes hurt too -who could have avoided a drunk fight in a drunk party, right?-.

There were no particular rules, just one given by the hostess herself: what happens in the mansion stays in the mansion. To cut it short, you had to get that wasted to forget what you saw.

None would have wanted a scandal run through the perfect students of the Saint Chad Birmingham University, wouldn't they?

Rachel Chambers was running out her luck that night, or, in general, in the last few weeks. Since she received a weird anonymous text message. At first the girl simply ignored it, taking it as a stupid prank from one of the freshmen who probably had a crush on her and managed to get her phone number; but the following text messages were hard to ignore for the Leicester born girl.

Have you ever felt so scared that you can't even react? Have you ever lived with the paranoia of being constantly spied on, followed, violated in your own privacy? That was how Rachel felt those last week. So scared to not even talk about it to anyone, so stuck in her own fear to keep it all by herself.

When she stepped into the party, that night, her only mission was to forget, to keep all those paranoids of her outside, to have fun, and it worked for a little amount of time. Rachel danced, took some drinks and danced again. She was having a great time, but, however, that feeling of being observed overwhelmed her once again; which could have been ironic if considered she was in a house full of people.

She kept repeating, in her head, that this was a party, and she had to have fun like everyone else. Every negative thoughts had to be left outside.

Her friends were nowhere in sight and a hot, and very drunk, boy took her dancing, trying to either not throw up and not trip on her at every move. Making her way away from him before he could have collapsed, Rachel found another spot and people to dance with.

Soon it was two in the morning, and Rachel finally spotted the real host of the part, her best friend Abigail Edwards in a satin green dress and definitely too sober for being at her own party.