chapter 4

it wasn't long after until conrad and i got on with our day. as the hours went past, some may have even thought we never had that conversation. he acted like that never happened, like he never broke down in my arms, and before the day can even progress nicole's back, it's like he pretends there's nothing there, like nothings going on with us. i don't want to feel guilty but i do, have i taken advantage of him as he broke down and now i think there's a possibility. i shake my head to get the thought out of my head. it started at bonfire, not now. to distract myself i go out to the porch and see susannah, while jeremiah and belly are still in the pool. i smile and sit down aside her. "susannah?" i ask her. she nods her head "what's up my beautiful everlyn!" she address me, i turn to her, hesitating about what i'm going to ask her. "can i ask you something, but can we keep this conversation just between us?" i ask lightly. she shifts closer to me and grabs my hand, however she seems on edge, off even. "you can always talk to me about everything or anything " she assures me. i smile, "do you know what's up with conrad? i know you just think he's being 'rebellious' but i think there's something else. he can't talk to me, he tried but he just broke down" i tell her softly. her smile fades while she looks afar, she looks back at me and pulls an upside down smile. "as you know last year, adam, had an affair and um connie was the one found his dad in the act, that's probably what's getting to him" she tells me. "once again you never deserved that, but we all love you more than any man could" i say while kissing her head and standing up. as im about to go to the pool susannah shouts. "everlyn wait" i turn back and look at her. "please could you be a deb this year? please i'll do anything just to see you in a white dress!" she yells. i roll my eyes "ugh, fine, only because you asked me" i yell back. "or you could wait until my wedding day!" i tease at her. her smile drops " im joking" i tell her playfully. great im a deb, with no one to take me and im guessing it starts monday. thank god for jeremiah.

i dip my feet into the pool. "what's up love birdsss" i say. they both freeze and look at me, strange kids i swear. "erm yea no we're fine just swimming i guess" jeremiah responds. i look them and roll my eyes. "belly it's your birthday tomorrow why is no one talking about this!" i groan. she looks and me and laughs. "of course i have and i actually have a plan" she states. "go on, tell us all" jeremiah adds on. "i think we should all go sailing, tomorrow, and we can go while it's sunset and watch the dolphins!" she says. me and jeremiah burst out laughing. "you, belly conklin, WANT to go sailing?" jeremiah asks. she pushes him and looks at me "why are you laughing?" she questions me. i open my mouth but no words come out. " i-i just am so am- amazed you would think to do something so nice" i say trying to convince everyone including me that i thought that. she rolls her eyes. "we're doing it, i don't care, i want it to be me you jere,conrad, mom and susannah, then we can go in pairs" she says. i nod "i'll happily go with susannah or your mom there like my bestfriends" i whisper. now jer and belly laugh at me. "you wanna go with our moms?" jeremiah says continuously laughing, "someone having some connie problems?" belly mocks at me. i splash water at them to shut up. "you sure conrad even wants to come? he's always so busy with nicole" i say. it's quiet they all shut up, "listen everyone's coming, it'll be fun i'll make sure of it, and oh everlyn no way your going with our moms, if it's that bad then i'll happily listen to you complain" jeremiah responds. i smile and get out of the pool, "i wont listen to you complain!" belly declares. i laugh while making my way back to the house , it's dark now, and i have no reason to be out.

"pizza,oven,eat" laurel announces, i turn my head at her, "got it,want any?" i ask, she shakes her head. i grab some pizza from the oven and hear the front door close, must be nicole. conrad wonders into the kitchen, "get me some slices ev" i roll my eyes, you have hands. he sits down and looks at me, oh his big blue eyes. "please" he smirks, i turn to the oven and pull out two more slices for conrad. "here for king conrad" i declare while placing his food infront of him. i sit next to him. "belly's birthday tomorrow" he reminds me, "and you'll never guess what, she wants to go sailing" i whisper. conrad chokes on his pizza. "belly? like belly belly wants to sailing?" he asks me. i nod my head "yup, and she wants go during sunset to watch dolphins" reply. "how romantic" conrad says. i look at him questioning if he knows he has to come. "we all have to go, and apparently we're sailing together" i say. "oh" he lets out, "you know i might not actually~" he continues, "conrad shut up, your going i don't care, i don't want to let her down even more, your coming" i insist. he rolls his eyes. i start "conrad fisher i swear if dragging your out your room is the last thing i do~" he cuts me off "i'll be there, for you, if you so call insist" he tells me. i nod and clear up our plates, "that's what i thought" i mutter, "whatcha say over there amora?" he asks. "nothing" i giggle.