Chapter Six

Robin watched with immense interest, still holding the small white-board in her lap as she had a black marker in hand, waiting to see what would happen. Although Steve didn't show as much enthusiasm, he lent against the ice cream display with his arms folded and an unreadable expression on his face.

"How was the banana split? I put a lot of effort into that" y/n grinned, she wasn't lying - it was quite the process having to monitor Steve and chop a banana at the same time. The guy, who Steve had mentioned was named Jonathan, gave her a shy smile before glancing at the menu above.

"Can you recommend anything? I'm going to bring something back for my brother" he said, his gaze flickering back to y/n before realizing Steve was lingering not far behind.

"Just ignore them" she mentioned, shooting a quick glare over her shoulder. They suddenly pretended to be busy, with Robin doodling on the whiteboard and Steve over analyzing the ice cream display like he'd never seen it before. "-what kind of flavours does he like?" Y/n continued, facing back at Jonathan. He paused in thought and shrugged.

"Strawberry I think" he hummed but glanced away nervously as y/n leaned forward with a smirk. She took her stupid sailor hat off and left it on the counter as she chuckled and adjusted a loose strand of hair.
"He has good taste then, a classic choice. What size tub would you like?" Y/n continued, moving over to the small fridge behind her that stored the ready-to-go ice cream. She bent down slowly and opened its glass door, seemingly in no hurry as she felt Jonathan's eyes watching.

"We have small, medium or large - our prices are on the board" y/n said, moving her hair suggestively over one shoulder as she dug around the fridge door for the Strawberry tubs.

"Huh, What was that? Sorry I was distracted" Jonathan said a little too quickly and a smug smile spread across her lips, they might be getting that tip money back sooner than she'd thought.

"Steve, for the love of god find some self-control and stop ogling" Robin hissed and y/n looked around to see Steve tear his eyes from her, he cleared his throat loudly and glanced back at Jonathan before clenching his jaw, realizing he wasn't the only one.

"She asked what size, obviously" Steve responded, clearly irritated with Jonathan's transparent staring. Y/n found it amusing that Steve felt so threatened by him, even though he knew she was trying to get his tip money back.

"Medium" Jonathan said, looking away and scratching the back of his neck as y/n stood up with the ice cream. She placed it on the front counter as he pulled out his wallet and flicked through his notes.

"That'll be three dollars" y/n flashed a smile "I haven't seen you here before" she continued, noticing Steve dramatically rolled his eyes at her comment. "Otherwise I would have remembered" y/n said as she took the money from him and rung it through the till.
"It's my first time in Starcourt Mall, I'm usually too busy at the Hawkins Post" he replied, timidly waiting as y/n counted his change and handed it to him, lingering slightly as their fingers brushed.

"I'll have to keep an eye out for your name then" y/n murmured, making him even more flustered before her. "Come by soon" she finished with a wink as Jonathan was about to place the change in his wallet but decided against it, instead dropping the dollar coins into the tip jar along with a couple of spare notes.

"I'll see you around" he pulled a nervous smile, took the ice cream and turned to leave.

"You have a girlfriend, remember!" Steve shouted at him and that only made Jonathan walk faster out the ice cream parlor.

Y/n turned to face him with a triumphant look, gesturing to the tip jar that by the cashier. "Yeah yeah, I can see that. You bat your lashes and people drop dead at the sight" he pouted in defeat before moving over to pick up the jar.