Chapter Fifteen

Steve had parked his car in the driveway of his parent's house before the two of them broke the silence. They had spent the short drive from Starcourt mall in a peaceful quiet, catching their breath after running to the car and escaping from a deranged-looking Billy.

Y/n unclipped her seatbelt and he did the same but neither made a move to leave.

"How much of the conversation did you hear?" y/n asked, awkwardly shuffling in the passenger seat to face Steve.

He looked away as if in thought before he met her gaze, his expression saddened and Steve let out a long breath before replying.

"I heard enough"

"Well, Billy wasn't ever one for small talk" y/n hummed, letting her head fall back on the seat's leather headrest.

She realised how exhausted she was, wanting nothing more than to crash out for the night and forget all about what had happened in the parking lot.

"Thanks for looking out for me, if only you had a crazy ex I could save you from" she continued with a sad chuckle. Steve shot her a small smile at the comment before shaking his head in response.

"I think one is enough. Besides, Nancy isn't the psycho type" he laughed softly before it faded into quiet again.

Y/n thought of something to say, somehow wanting to delay getting out of the car and into reality again. She felt safe and warm, huddled in her seat next to Steve as they stared out at the cold night around them.

Steve was about to reach for the door handle, his hand hovering over it but y/n tapped him on the arm before he got out. Steve paused, glancing back at her with a raised brow.

"I know how this sounds but is it okay if I share your bed again? I don't think I'll get much sleep in the spare room" y/n said slowly, already regretting asking him as she realized how suggestive it sounded.

"I just don't want to be alone right now" she continued, rambling slightly as she tried to justify her words. To y/n's relief, Steve's face lit up and he threw her a warm smile.

"Just don't mention it to Dustin otherwise he really will think we're dating" Steve answered with a chuckle and y/n nodded along.

"Right. Yeah, wouldn't want that" she joked as Steve got out of the car and she did the same.

Although the more she thought about it, the more y/n realized that dating Steve wouldn't be so bad. She'd be lying if she said it didn't cross her mind before. In fact, y/n often caught herself thinking about Steve in a way friends shouldn't.

The two of them headed right to Steve's room, y/n occupied the bathroom first, changing from her work clothes back into one of Steve's oversized shirts.

She made a mental note to go back home at least for some of her clothes, y/n felt bad enough for staying in his bed - let alone borrowing his wardrobe. Besides, her house was still a wreck of chaos and it wasn't going to fix itself.

As y/n finished washing her hands, she noticed faint music playing from Steve's room next door. Opening the door and re-entering his bedroom, she realized he had a record playing.

More specifically, the Queen record that he'd bought because Steve knew she liked their music and wanted to try it out.

Carefully closing the white door, y/n smiled to herself as Steve was humming along to the tune of 'love of my life' which had to be one of her favourites.

"Love of my life, don't leave me" y/n murmured the words as it played aloud. Steve glanced up at her, seeming rather embarrassed to be caught humming along.

"I didn't know you could sing" Steve commented, pulling off his Scoops Ahoy shirt as he had already slipped his plaid pyjama bottoms on.

"That's because I can't" she scoffed a reply, shaking her head in dismissal as she ripped her gaze from his bare chest. Steve didn't seem to notice, which she was more than grateful for.

They both settled on his bed, resting against the headboard, listening to the vinyl spin on the record player across the room.

Somehow, as Steve lay in the dim lamplight of his room, only inches away from her, shirtless and looking exhausted - y/n had the overwhelming urge to lean over and kiss him.

She debated it for several long seconds, listing all the things that could possibly go wrong. From scenarios of ruining their friendship and making it awkward, to being kicked out of his house and never speaking again.

The record spun to a stop and Steve briefly left the bed to carefully put the vinyl away in its cover. He placed it back on the shelf with the rest of his collection before cannonballing back on the bed, making some of the pillows fall onto y/n.

"Thanks for that" she joked sarcastically, throwing the pillow back to Steve as he lay down. He shot her a mischievous look before harmlessly picking it back up and gently smacking her with it.

She let out a shriek of surprise as he had started a pillow fight, declaring war on her side of the bed as Steve chucked over another pillow.

"Oh you made a big mistake Harrington" y/n grinned, picking up the pillow he threw to wack him with it.

The action ruffled up his fluffy hair, making it stick up at an odd angle. Steve scowled playfully in response, pausing the fight to perfect it again.

"Nope, not the hair" he joked and grabbed a pillow in defence, pushing y/n flat on the bed as Steve rolled over so he was on top of her with a pillow between them.

Y/n suddenly froze, feeling like she momentarily stopped breathing as she realised how close Steve was. He was quite literally on top of her, with both hands on the pillow which was the only barrier between them.

Steve hovered above her for a second before he cleared his throat, flushed a shade of crimson red and rolled back over to his side of the bed.

"We should probably get some sleep" he spoke up, changing the subject as he glanced into the distance and shuffled into a more comfortable position.

She only nodded, thinking about how she probably looked just as flustered as he did. Y/n quickly collected herself and tucked any stray strand of loose hair back behind her ears.

Y/n decided to screw her overthinking and just say goodnight.

"Goodnight," she said and briefly leant over him to turn his bedside lamp off.

As y/n flicked the switch on the wire and the room went dark, she placed a quick kiss on Steve's forehead as she pulled herself back over to her side of the bed.

He remained quiet for a moment before turning to face her on his side.

"What was that for?" Steve whispered innocently and y/n thought the action spoke for itself. She wanted him to know how she felt but at the same time, y/n was too scared of what he might say.

"Figure it out" she murmured back, pulling the bedsheets up to her neck as she turned over and fell asleep before Steve could stammer out a reply. 

-

A/N

This chapter seemed so much better in my head and now the more I read over it the more I hate it. Anyways, I hope you didn't die of cringe 😃🔫

-Em