Chapter Twenty Five - Unexpected Anger

The only thing that announced River's presence was the way that the bed suddenly dipped - I expected to open my eyes and find him pulling faces next to me but since he never did anything normal, I discovered that he was actually on top of me.

His hands were planted on either side of my shoulders whilst he carefully straddled my hips.

"Hey," he breathed creepily, his eyes twinkling behind his glasses as I watched his lips tip up into a stupid smile. "What'cha doing RiRi?" He looked over my bed, "God, are you planning on having an orgy in here?"

I knew that my bed was ridiculously large but I still pulled a face at him.

"Would you want to join me?" I asked, my lips pouted as I blew him a kiss.

I had to laugh as a flush started across his cheeks until it ended in the tips of his ears, "Naw, look at that cute face?"

His answer was to drop all of his weight onto my body, "I never knew that you were such a flirt, RiRi! You're gonna turn my head with that kind of talk."

I choked, crushed under his weight as I flailed about and tried to breathe, "Get off!"

He squirmed, his chest flattening my breasts so that they felt like pancakes, "I thought that you just asked me to share in a passionate night of lovemaking."

I tried to hit my hands against his sides as a new voice suddenly growled through the room, "What the fuck?"

I startled beneath River before he quickly rolled off, his eyes already on his brother.

As I lifted my head, I saw that Heath stood practically vibrating in the doorway, his eyes blazing with an emotion that I couldn't decipher.

"Dude," River exclaimed, his arm hugging me into his shoulder and chest. "Are you trying to give us a heart attack?"

It was hard to tell, considering the distance, but I thought that Heath was clenching his jaw. "I came in to make sure that you weren't lost again."

I struggled to the side of the bed, my chest still sore from River's. I was confused by Heath and why he suddenly seemed so angry after how excited he had been downstairs.

"Are you ok?" I asked cautiously.

He nodded sharply, "Yeah, Kitten. I just had to take a phone call," He looked around, shaking his head. "Are you both ready to go?"

River jumped up, "We just got here!"

Heath shrugged, "I've got things to do." His eyes seemed to flick towards me before he turned his back on us both. "I'll wait at the bottom of the stairs." He called gruffly before walking away stiffly.

I stared at the empty doorway before turning towards the younger Daimon, "What happened?"

His face remained as confused as I believed my own appeared, "I have no idea. Whoever rang him probably had bad news. I'll ask him about it later."

I collected my gear and followed him from the room, our shoes the only noise as we walked across the white stone floor.

Heath was waiting for us on the ground floor, by the doorway which would lead back towards the garage, his shoulders as tight as his fists.

Worried but afraid to aggravate him even more, I bit my tongue and stayed close to River's side.

Heath didn't say a word as he preceded his brother and I into the pool chamber, the reflective light almost hurting my eyes as we skirted the water's edge.

"I am so coming over here one day soon and trying to map it all," River announced happily.

I snorted, my eyes still on Heath's back, "Would you like me to post signs on the walls?"

"Oh, I'm sure that he doesn't need any help finding his way around," Heath interrupted, "But I would keep a close eye on the silver wear - he might be tempted to start stealing things."

I frowned but remained silent as we slipped into the garage and moved quickly into the oversized monster that Heath claimed was a perfectly normal car.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

There seemed to be even more tension within the comfortable confines as River suddenly decided to jump into the back seat with me.

By the time that we pulled into the Daimon's drive, I was ready to make my escape through a window if necessary.

It had been so uncomfortably silent that I had, at one point, contemplated leaping from the moving vehicle.

Both River and I had turned our phones to silent and began texting one another, worried about Heath and the way that he had suddenly shut us both out - my thought was that something to do with the phone call had pushed him into a dark place where he felt content stewing in enraged silence.

As soon as the car was parked, Heath threw the door open, slamming it violently before he stomped off around the house.

"Where is he going?" I asked quietly.

River shrugged, his face concerned, "Probably to the gym. He doesn't get angry very often but when he does..." He shook his head. "He just needs some time to work it all out of his system."

I bit my lip but agreed that a confrontation would only worsen things - I followed River as he grabbed my bags and led the way into the house.