Chapter Thirty Two - What Else?

"Jellybean," My father greeted shortly, his eyes firmly on the two boys standing frozen in front of me. "What's going on?"

I cleared my throat and shot a look at River, "Well, this is River..."

"And Heath Daimon," My mother cut in, her smile wide and beautiful. She turned to the driver, "Thank you, Steven."

The older gentleman touched his hat, "Ma'am. Mr Heath."

Daddy nodded and shook his, no doubt slipping over some $100 notes, "Thanks for driving us home, Steven."

We all waited for the gate to slowly close behind him before my mother walked over to River, pulled his head down and gushily kissed his cheek. "It's wonderful to meet you, River." She pulled Heath into a hug, "Welcome to our home, boys."

I saw a slight flush creep over their cheeks as they responded, their eyes still warily on my father's blank face.

Mother turned to me and mouthed, 'Nice," whilst discreetly waving between the two boys.

I rolled my eyes, "Heath, River. This is my mother and father, Alexis and Timothy Heath." I smiled at my parents, "I just got home from school."

"Mmm," My father's eyes narrowed. "Is everything ok?"

Feeling the nudge at the small of my back as River stepped closer, I cleared my throat, "Well, I have to tell you about something that happened today at school."

His head turned to Heath, "Is that why the two of you are here?"

Heath nodded, his face completely serious, "Yes, sir."

My mother shifted, "Well, we are certainly not going to have a conversation in the driveway, Timothy." She picked up her overnight bag before Daddy could protest, "Let's go inside. I can't wait to get to know the both of you."

We all followed her toward the inner door through the still open garage. Heath and River both flanked me whilst I felt my father's assessing gaze on us all. It wasn't often that I saw him so serious but the way his eyes hardened simply served as a reminder that my father had earned his reputation amongst those that he associated with.

The click of my mother's designer heels against the stone floor rings loud in the strained silence – I hadn't meant for Heath or River to be around when I explained what had happened with Principal Mathison to my father but since neither of them seemed perturbed by his lack of welcome and general demeanor, I just clenched my fists and continued to walk between them.

"How was your trip, Ma?" I asked quietly as we moved through the numerous rooms until reaching the informal sitting room next to the kitchen.

She dropped her bag before pulling me into a hug, "We had a lovely time. Was everything ok here?"