Chapter Twenty Nine - When Two Hearts Break

I should have known that it would be a bad idea - my eyes widened as I watched River's eyes flash and a flush of red creep across his face.

"River," I warned softly, looking around the cafeteria to see that the usual crowds were watching us both closely.

I thought for a moment that his teeth were grinding together as he leaned across the table, "He did what?"

I bit my lip, "I don't really want to repeat it again." I laid a hand over his clenched ones, "He's not going to get away with it. I will be telling my father."

"He deserves to have his head knocked off before he loses his job!"

I cringed as he almost roared, "Shh, LaLa."

He pushed his chair back, jumping to his feet while he ignored the fact that the entire room had gone quiet, "I'm going to speak to him."

He didn't wait for me to speak before he turned away and began to storm away.

I couldn't even afford to sit for a moment with my mouth gaping as much as I wanted to. I ignored what was left on the table as I raced after River, his long legs carrying him across the floor quicker than I could comprehend.

The swinging of the doors behind me signalled a deluge of sound pouring through but even though it worried me that more rumours would spread about the two of us, I was solely concerned with the fact that River appeared determined to go on a rampage.

I could understand that he was angry regarding the fact that that the despicable principal had actually attempted to blackmail me but I knew that any attempt on his behalf to defend me would only cause problems during the rest of our Senior year.

"River," I called loudly, my voice echoing off the walls.

He ignored me, his steps seeming to quicken even more.

"River Daimon, you stop right now!" I yelled.

He froze, turning to look back at me, "You sounded just like my mother."

I felt my face twist, "Ok, I'm not sure if that is an insult or not." I huffed, "You need to calm down."

I watched the red colour across his cheeks deepen.

"No." He growled back at me, "That fucking pathetic piece of shit cannot and will not get away with making you do this. God, Alira!" He exclaimed, "He's fucking threatened to see you face hell for the rest of the year for what? A stupid fucking party that he probably doesn't give a shit about?"

I paused, "I don't know, River. I have no idea why he chose now to do this. He's had me here for my entire high school life and has never shown any sort of interest in me. It confuses the hell out of me unless..." I paused, staring back at him.

"Unless what, RiRi?"

"This school has never gained very much funding from the government and I know that a lot of the parents are from low to middle class socio-economic families that sometimes struggle to pay the fees." I drew a breath, "I don't think that he's going to keep quiet regardless of my compliance. He's trying to make me believe that he'll hold up his end until after the Ball and then he'll go to the media. The other parents and the community will bombard my Mum and Dad so aggressively that they will donate to protect me and our entire family from the backlash." I reached out to him, my eyes starting to sting, "Your family will suffer too."

He blinked, "That doesn't..."

"It does matter, River," My voice rose in agitation, "It will matter. I've known your family for less than three days and I can't...I won't make them go through that. Heath would..." I shook my head.

He stepped forward, his hands coming to rest on my arms, "Alira, I'm sure that it won't come to that. We'll go and see your father - he'll take care of it." His finger wiped a tear away from the corner of my eye, "And my parents and brother will stand beside you no matter what comes, even if your name is leaked and they have reporters parked on our front lawn."

Pain splintering through me at the thought of the wonderful people who had raised such a wonderful boy, I pulled away. "No, River." I shook my head, "It's not fair."

Hating myself for the first time because of who I was and hating the principal for being so cruel when I finally felt as though I had someone who could honestly understand the person that I was and the decisions that I had made.

Protecting River, Heath and their parents made sense to me.

"Alira," He whispered, his eyes shiny behind his glasses.

He knew.

And I was going to hurt him be it now or later - I laughed through my tears and with not an ounce of humour.

"You'll survive, won't you?" I asked almost silently. "It's probably for the best anyway."

He shook his head, his fingers tightening, "Don't say shit like that. This is nothing - we'll get it figured out, RiRi."

"I won't let anything happen, River. I'll make sure that Daddy keeps you out of it but you'll need to protect yourself and your family."

He shook me, "No. Fuck it all, RiRi. It's not happening. Not because of this."

"I'm sorry," I sobbed. "I knew it was a bad idea. I knew that this could happen but I wanted a friend."

"Don't cry." He whispered, "I am your friend and you're going trust that the Daimon's are tougher than you think."

My vision completely blurred, I tugged away from him. "I can't. Please don't." I backed away, "Tell Heath that I didn't mean to break my promise."

"What promise? Stop backing away, Alira."

I just turned my back, so devastated, I was shaking. "Bye LaLa."