Part I

"Are you sure?" Mom asked me skeptically.

"Yes, ma. It's just two days and this gig is important to me."

"Alright then."

Every year, my siblings, my mom and I spend summer at Cousins Beach with my mom's best friend, Susannah and her two sons, Jeremiah and Conrad, at her beach house. It was the best time of the year, no arguments. I loved being there with the people I loved the most in the whole world, but this year it would have to wait. I had a gig to play at Jersey Beach the day after my family were planning to leave for Cousins. I would drive down the day after that which would mean I would miss the first two days of summer.

It wouldn't matter much, would it?

*****

"No," Belly yelled. "Why would want to miss the first 2 days?! Just miss the gig!"

"Stop being dramatic Bells. Its not that big of a deal."

Steven popped his head into my bedroom. "She's right Bells, its fine." Turning to me he said, "We'll still miss you on the drive up there though. You're the only one who sings in tune."

I smiled at him, but stayed silent.

*****

The drive to Cousins was always filled with nervous anticipation. The drive in itself was not the prettiest in the world, but it would always be the most memorable. The thought of seeing the boys, Susannah, and the house again always made a bit stir crazy. I knew everyone in my family shared the feeling, but only Belly would join me as we yelled out Taylor Swift songs in an attempt to contain our excitement.

Driving up there today, I missed her a bit. It was alright though; I would see her soon enough.

I pulled up into the driveway and smiled up at the house. Usually, Jere and Conrad and Susannah would be sitting on the steps waiting for us. No such reception today, though. "That's what I get for being two days late," I thought to myself.

Resolute not to spoil my happy mood, I walked into the house.

"Madi!" I heard the all too familiar, angelic voice of dear, dear Susannah as she pulled me into a hug.

I pulled away grinning. Taking one look at her though, the grin quickly slipped off my face. She looked- off. I couldn't put my finger on it- maybe she looked more tired, or had more wrinkles on her face.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

She looked like I caught her off guard. "Yeah, of course. My favourite girl's here, how could I not be?" I was about to reply, but the thought left my mind as I saw one of my favourite people walk in- Conrad Fisher.

Conrad was my best friend. He was kind, and smart- but he wasn't afraid to have fun. He was into music, like me. He was my confidant. He just got me, and he never judged. We sort of had a deeper connection I suppose.

When I was 10, I was in love with the idea of soulmates. The mystery, the romance, the whole idea of finding that one person- it was exciting. Then Steven, the jerk that he was, told me that not everyone actually finds their soulmates, and then they end up like "The Grinch". My Grandma- the ever feminist- explained to me that soulmates didn't have to be romantic. You could find that person who totally understands you even in a friend. Even then, my mind immediately went to Conrad. He was totally my platonic soulmate.

"Connie!", I yelled, smiling and opening my arms for a hug. He gave me sort of a half- smile and a half- hug, mumbled something about swimming and ran off.