Part V

The 4th of July was always amazing at the house. Susannah decorated the whole house, Jeremiah usually helped her. They both had an eye for that sort of a thing. Conrad, Steven and I would steam clams and then we would all shoot off fireworks. The dads came up for the weekend.

Dad has always been my favourite parent. I'd always felt a bit guilty about it. But after the divorce, I found myself really missing his presence around the house and would never miss a chance to meet him. His new apartment was really depressing though. I mean a 40- something man in a bachelor pad is sad in its own right. Plus, now he was dating some grad student.

This year was different obviously. I stood outside the kitchen, trying to gather myself. I was about to face Susannah for the first time since- you know.

"Morning Mads," Jeremiah called out.

"Morning," I said back.

I must've looked nervous because Conrad walked up from behind me and whispered in my ear, "Don't worry, you're doing great."

I looked up to see Mom and Susannah smiling at us sneakily. Great, so Mom knows. I stepped away from Conrad but whispered, "Thanks."

He then left to clean the clams.

"I still don't understand why you invited Dad's girlfriend," Steven complained.

"Wait, Victoria's coming today?" I asked. Mom nodded.

"Why do you know her name?" asked Steven.

"I asked dad. And I follow her on Instagram. She's cool," I said. Steven still looked disgusted. I huffed in annoyance, "Look don't think of her as Dad's girlfriend, just as some random girl he knows. And as random girls go, she's pretty cool."

Mom smiled at me, "This is why you're your dad's favourite." I smiled back.

"Speaking of dads, yours called," Susannah said to Jeremiah. "He's in London, he can't make it."

Jeremiah looked pretty disappointed, I felt bad for him.

Conrad walked into the kitchen, "Did you say Dad can't make it?" When Susannah confirmed it, he just leaned against the counter, smiling to himself. I raised an eyebrow at him, and he shook his head.

*****

"She's hot," Jeremiah said. Mom and Susannah were talking to Dad and Victoria outside.

"Yeah, I told you," I said.

"Dude ew," said Steven.

"That could be their future stepmom," Conrad said, grinning at me.

"Dude what the hell," Steven said. He and Conrad started a play fight.

"C'mon they're coming in," said Jeremiah, and he and Conrad left the room.

"Hey, come give your old man a hug," Dad said.

I grinned and hugged him.

"This is Victoria," Dad introduced.

"Hi guys, its really great to meet you. I've heard nothing but five-star reviews," she said.

I smiled at her. Yeah, she was alright.

*****

"Shayles!" I yelled, running up to hug her. I missed her. She was always off with Steven. Or Gigi. Ugh.

"Alright can you release her from your death grip? I wanna introduce her to mom and dad," Steven said.

I rolled my eyes, but pulled away.