Part IX

"How's it going with you and Conrad?" Dad asked. Mom, Cleveland, Dad and I were standing at a table.

"Huh?" I asked him.

"You and Conrad? Your mom told me you were dating," he said.

I looked at mom. "I'm assuming Susannah told you?" I asked her. She nodded, trying to hide her laughter.

"So you are dating? I thought something was going on when you came by the pier the other day. He seems really into you," Cleveland said.

I felt trapped. "Uhh-"

"Hey, dad!" Steven interrupted, coming up to hug him. "Did you bring the cufflinks?"

Dad nodded and pulled out a box from his pocket.

'Hey Steven, I don't think we've officially met," said Cleveland. "I'm Cleveland."

Steven shook his hand, "Uh, hi."

"You look so handsome!" Mom said.

He blushed. "Aw look, it's all eyes on Shayla tonight. I'm just the arm candy," he said. "Speaking of which I should probably go get ready."

"I'm coming with," I said.

"What are you going to do up there?" Mom asked.

My eyes widened as I looked to find an excuse. "Umm, I have to. Go see Conrad," I said, cringing internally.

"Wait what, why do you have to see-" Steven said.

"Let's go." I spoke over him, pulling him away. When we were out of earshot, I said, "Why can't you ever catch a hint?"

"Why do have to see Conrad?"

"It's a long story."

He paused. "Umm, are you okay? You know since-"

"I'm fine, and I don't wanna talk about it."

"Suits me just fine," he said.

*****

"Kind of wish we were all doing it together you know," Conrad told Jeremiah and Steven.

"You wish we were doing a dance routine together?" Steven asked.

"No, no. No." Conrad said. I chuckled.

"I didn't mean it literally. Just that, we haven't hung out much this summer."

"Yeah, you both have been pretty MIA," Jeremiah accused, looking at Conrad and I.

"Yeah, I know," Conrad said. "But we've got a week till end of summer, maybe the three of us could go on an overnight fishing trip."

I scoffed, "The three of you? Ouch. Like can you not see me? I'm right here."

He grinned, "Didn't think you'd wanna go fishing."

"Yeah, I don't, sounds boring," I said. "Still hurtful though. You know what, maybe I'll go out with the girls. Convince them to dump your asses," I said to Jeremiah and Steven.

We all laughed. For a second, it felt like everything was how it used to be. Then I looked away, and suddenly it wasn't.

"You guys are gonna crush this," I told the boys, walking out.

*****

Belly looked stunning- an absolute vision.

Watching her walk out with Jeremiah was harder than I expected. But the pride I felt for Belly helped. A little.