Chapter 10

"Go climb up there." I muttered at Eddie, pointing to a high rock, "We can't stay here forever. See what's out there."

He gave me a concerned looked before doing as I asked, "So...uh," He turned round, eyes wide, "This place is like Hawkins, but with monsters and nasty shit?"

"Pretty much." Nancy was out of breath, struggling with Steve's weight.

"Watch out for the vines!" She warned as Eddie made his way down, "It's all a hive mind."

"Shit..." I mumbled, "I tripped on every vine on the way here. It won't be long until they find us."

"You step on a vine, you're stepping on a bat, you're stepping on Vecna." Steve explained.

"None of you should be here." I shook my head, "When I stepped into the water, Vecna told me I was his and there was no escape. That's probably why he hasn't wheedled his way into my head since, you guys are throwing him off."

"Good." Eddie spoke, "The longer we can keep Vecna away from you while you're injured, the better."

"Everything from our world is still here right?" Robin asked, "Except people?"

"As far as I understand it yeah." Nancy confirmed.

"So, theoretically, we could go to the police station and steal guns and grenades and whatever we need to blow up those bat things that are guarding the gate." She theorised.

"I highly doubt the Hawkins PD has grenades, Robin." Steve kept an eye on the bats circling in the sky, "But guns, yeah, sure."

"Well, we don't have to go all the way downtown for guns." Nancy raised an eyebrow, "I have guns. In my bedroom."

"You," Eddie cocked his head at her, "Nancy Wheeler. Have guns. Plural, in your bedroom?"

"Christ, I don't even have a gun. Crazy bitch." I coughed from the log I was propped up against.

"Full of surprises, isn't she?" Robin's voice wavered. She was afraid, and doing a terrible job of hiding it.

"A Russian Makarov and a revolver." She put her hands on her hips.

"Yeah, you almost shot me with that one." Steve stepped forward.

"You almost deserved it." She smiled in response.

"Kinky..." I said quietly. Nancy shot daggers at me whilst Eddie stifled a laugh.

Eddie pulled his denim vest jacket off, tossing it at Steve. That left him in just his flimsy hellfire shirt, with me still wrapped up in the leather jacket.

"For your modesty dude." He shrugged.

Eddie took a step towards me, to help me up but the ground began to shake violently below us, thundering coming from deep below. Everyone yelled and I did my best to cover my head.

Eddie and Robin landed in a flurry of limbs on top of me. Eddie did his best to keep a hand on both of us, ready to tug if something were to come flying out of the sky.

Creatures starting baying in the distance. In our panic, someone must've stepped on a vine, the bats knew where we were. Vecna knew where we were.

We all stayed poker still, our panicked breaths being the only thing audible over the shrieking. I glanced around slowly, trying to anticipate them coming.

"Guns seem like a pretty good idea to me." Eddie breathed.

"Me too." Robin agreed quickly.

"So, what are we waiting for?" I struggled to my feet, putting the tiniest bit of pressure on my swollen ankle. If I wanted to get out of here alive I needed to grin and bare the pain.