𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗜𝗫. finale

ORANGE LEAVES FELL FROM it's branches, the month of fall nearing it's end

ORANGE LEAVES FELL FROM it's branches, the month of fall nearing it's end. The cold whistles of the wind in the autumnal breeze - songbirds creating a harmonic hymn through the vast gardens. Eleanor stood in-front of her mother's bedchambers which was soon opened. "Nora.. do you need anything?" The frail middle-aged lady queried with a soft undertone.

"Mother," Eleanor stepped inside the bedchambers and motioned for all the attendants to leave and close the doors. The silver-haired lady stood tall, reaching to hold her mother's smooth untouched hands. "I.. am going to be the Duke." Eleanor stated promptly, before going down on one knee.

She brought her mother's hand to her forehead with a apathetic neutral gaze, mouthing the words. "Until I have sorted everything out, please stay healthy. I vow to change the messed up customs of the Laris Household and have the dukedom prosper and reach newfound heights." Eleanor closed her eyes, as Adrianna stood in a bewildered manner.

"What are you planning to do, Nora?" Adriana asked,  bringing her child to stand up promptly. "Father is a disloyal man to both us and the Dukedom, mother. I simply plan to have a conversation with him over tea about my succession and his little plans." Eleanor reasoned, placing her hands behind her back.

"I will not disappoint." Eleanor bowed her head, pursing her lips briefly before she left. The neutral expression on her morphed into a serious one as she made her way towards his office, watching as the guards who stood straight before the doors slowly opened it. "I have been expecting you, Nora."

Her father's gruff voice greeted, Duke Leonard briefly glimpsed at his daughter who offered a mere apathetic smile due to courtesy. "Greetings, your excellency." Eleanor waved her hand, sitting at the chair that was specially prepared for her in-front of the desk. "I will make this short as I know that you aren't fond of indulging in idle chatter."

"Your Excellency, please break my engagement with the crown prince." Eleanor crossed her legs, staring at him directly in the eye. "I have already made a formal request to His Majesty which they have accepted, only your approval for the annulment of this engagement is left."

"And what will happen if I do not give my approval?" Leonard challenged as Eleanor sat still, as if she had already expected this kind of answer. "I'm afraid that you will only embarrass the Laris name for doing so. Even His Majesty has agreed, high society will simply think that you are desperate to have a grand-child with Imperial blood."

"Then do answer this question of mine first, Nora." Leonard smiled apathetically, but his eyebrows were knitted together. "Why did you send Lady Simone and my child away?" Leonard asked.

"I have already provided them the financial assistance and house they need, your excellency. And, I have only accepted Lady Simone's request of me." Eleanor responded, a small witty smile curving on her lips. "If you were planning to use that child as your heir it wouldn't be possible, a illegitimate child on the position of Duke clearly isn't the best decision to make."