Chapter One: Daughter of the Moon

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Daughter of the Moon

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

The moon, an ever present feature of the night sky, a feature filled with grandeur and beauty and yet she doesn't brag. She uses what little light that she has to brighten the nights on earth and shares her domain with the stars.

On one such calm and beautiful night, a girl merely 12 years old perched on a rooftop staring at the moon with such hatred that she wanted to rip the moon from the sky and throw it away. Why would she want that, many would wonder considering who her mother was, but she never paid them any mind. She hated the moon because she blamed it for her Papi's death, but deep down she knew that she could never truly hate the moon and what she was. After all, the said celestial beauty was a part of her that she could never replace.

Selene Cruz knew she should head to bed before she gets caught by the cleaning harpies for breaking curfew, but she couldn't clear her head of her thoughts. As much as she hated it, the moon helped her compartmentalize and calm down. Earlier that day, her mother had spoken to her. Artemis usually doesn't contact Selene due to the law made by Zeus that states all gods must keep out of contact with their mortal children. This was a big risk the goddess took and all Selene wanted to know was why.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." The words rang in her head. Protect her from what?

Finally, sighing and giving up on trying to decipher the message, Selene walked to her cabin and fell into a rather disturbed sleep.

Little away from where she was sleeping, at the border was a boy just as old as her, was fighting against a creature with an head of a bull and a body of a man. A 'Minotaur' to be more precise.

When she woke up the next morning and heard what had happened from her dear friend Grover, she cursed herself for not checking the border before. She rushed to her "father" at the Big house [or at least who she considered to be her father but she never dared to tell him that afraid of being rejected] and demanded "Why did you not bring him in with you when you came here in the first place?"

Chiron, who was getting ready to play Pinochle with Mr. D was startled to say the least "Good morning to you too, little moon." The girl who was ready to yell his ear out falters when she hears the nickname but she hides it well and yet she knew that somehow, he knew what he said considerably calmed her down, but she did not back off. "The boy who killed the minotaur yesterday, we both know who he is and yet you let him go and get himself attacked?" Chiron, who was expecting this, sighed. "We cannot directly involve ourselves in such matters and especially in the current scenario, you know that very well." She was well aware of the current war that was brewing between the gods over Zeus's missing master bolt and that he was blaming the other Gods children for stealing his master bolt, Chiron had told her, it would be a secret between the two.

Selene was about to retort when she heard the small round man with bloodshot eyes wearing a tiger-stripped Hawaiian shirt along with his usual purple running shoes enter the room. Dionysus or "Mr. D" as he called himself, was yelling at Chiron to hurry up. She rolled her eyes and left the Big House without saying a word and headed to the infirmary where the boy was resting.

When she got inside, the sight in front of her surprised her. One of the beds was occupied with the resting boy, a minotaur horn at his bedside table. Selene was impressed for a second and curious as to how the boy managed to rip it off. The bedside chair occupied by a blonde haired, grey eyed daughter of Athena; Annabeth and she was undoubtedly trying to figure out who the boy was. Judging by the half empty pudding cup at table, Selene guessed she had been unsuccessful at feeding him something. Hearing her footsteps, the blonde haired girl turned and scowled at her. "What are you doing here?"

Selene gave Annabeth an obviously fake smile and said, "I was feeling generous today so I thought I would help you look for your common sense. I didn't find it anywhere." Annabeth rolled her eyes at Selene and said, "Well, maybe you just didn't look hard enough."

"Or maybe its just nonexistent." Selene smirked at the blonde who glared at her in return.

"How long has he been out?" Selene asked. "It's been a day since he's out cold. Looking at him, I'm surprised he wasn't trampled to death," Annabeth replied.

Selene said nothing at that and hummed as she took in the information. She was impressed that a boy who didn't even know who he was had somehow managed to defeat a Minotaur and also get his first spoil of war. " What's his name?" She asked. "Perseus Jackson" Annabeth replied promptly and looked at him once more before leaving without saying a word.

Selene moved closer to the bed to see if he was showing any signs of waking up any time soon. She had a ton of questions and this boy was basically the only one who could answer them. The boy had messy jet black hair and a sharp nose. His lips were very pale due to being unconscious for a day.

Perseus Jackson, [or Percy Jackson, the way he liked his name] the name somehow suited him and she hoped that like his name sake, he would also get somewhat of a happy ending. For demigods like her, getting a happy and peaceful ending was difficult especially with the way the gods were treating their kids. Selene knew Percy couldn't have stolen the bolt. Her premonition had made it clear that they were to be betrayed by someone on the inside, so she held her suspicions up, knowing that trusting anyone was a bad idea. People, no matter how close, always find ways to disappoint you. But no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't find it in herself to believe that Percy could have stolen the bolt. Nobody needed to know that though, so she kept up the façade of suspicion. She decided to judge whether or not to trust him after she had spoken to him.

Before walking out of the infirmary, Selene turned to take one last look at him and frowned when she saw that he was having an nightmare judging by the way his brows were scrunched and he was mumbling incoherently. Absently, Selene reached out slowly and ran her hand through his black hair, using the calming energy of the moon to sweep the nightmare away. The moment her hand touched him, he stopped moving and returned to a peaceful slumber. That's one demigod spared of the awful nightmares, even if just for one night.

Selene left the infirmary, deep in thought. Her mothers message combined with the brewing war and Percy showing up was getting too much and it was giving her a headache.

***********************************************************************************************

Author Note:

Hi, guys. 

This is the first chapter, we hope you guys liked it just as much as we had while writing it.

Vote, comment and let us know if you have any suggestions.