Chapter Five: Capture The Flag

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Capture the Flag

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Selene was sitting at her usual spot on the beach. It was a secret place that not even Chiron knew about. Whenever she couldn't sleep or wanted to contemplate about things, she would come here. The waves of the sea would calm her racing thoughts and her troubled heart. If she heard any harpies, she would immediately climb up a tree or hide behind the bushes.

Tonight was just the same. It had been a two days since Percy Jackson had come to camp Half-Blood and she and Grover had tried their very best to ease him into this new world. Surprisingly, he hadn't tried to run for the hills yet which Selene considered was good enough for now.

He had tried his hand in a lot of activities around the camp and had he was best suited for a sword. She and Annabeth had taken up the responsibility of teaching Percy how to read Greek, which the blonde haired girl used as time to interrogate Percy subtly. Selene, who was tired by this, had called her out and Annabeth stopped showing up for lessons after that.

Meanwhile, Selene tried her very best to help Percy through the grief of losing his mother and making him feel comfortable in the whole new environment. He had already made an enemy out of the head counsellor of the Ares cabin, Clarisse La Rue, who happened to be one of Selene's best friend's around camp.

Clarisse was the only other person in the camp who had been given the permission to call her Sel other than Chiron, as the nickname meant a lot to her. Her Papi used to call her that before the incident, so now, only the people she liked were allowed to call her that.

Selene realized that thinking about her father had brought her to the brink of tears so she backtracked and put her mind towards something else. She was overlooking the waves, thinking about Percy. How his sea green eyes would somehow change colour depending on the mood that he was in; turning a stormy green colour when he was angry or upset and an emerald green when he was happy.

Chiron and her had a vague idea about who his goodly parent was but didn't want to tell him. It wasn't normal for the god to have kids and telling him that when he was new to this world would definitely make him run for the hills.

Selene frowned when she caught herself mid-thought. "Why in Hades' name am I thinking about Percy?"

She shook her head to clear her thoughts, noticing for the first time how late it was. Selene got up and headed back to her cabin where she was lulled to a disturbed sleep by her rampant thoughts.

Thursday afternoons Selene was usually free unless there were any unexpected attacks at the border. She spent this time in the arena helping Luke with his sword-fighting lesson.

Today, as per scheduled, she was waiting in the arena with Luke and setting up the practice dummies for the lesson while they waited. Soon, there was a group of people who surrounded the area, majority of whom were from cabin eleven.

Standing amongst them was the sea-green eyed boy, stabbing and slashing at the dummie kept before him. She looked at Luke and nodded her head towards the boy. Luke announced that the campers will be practicing in pairs and that he would be Percy's partner. Just like always, Selene observed each and every pair of campers from the sidelines and guiding them when they were doing something wrong.

Selene felt bad for Percy when she saw him battered and bruised after his practice round with Luke. When he was trying to catch his breath during the break she said, "Whenever we are tired after practice, we usually pour cold water over our heads. Maybe you should give it a try?"