Chapter Three: First Impressions

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

First Impressions

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Percy swore that he had seen an angel step onto the balcony. She looked as if she had been sculpted by the gods themselves.

"Close your mouth or something is gonna fly in there." Selene joked and laughed which punctured the environment dense with tension and awkwardness.

Percy shut his mouth and smiled embarrassedly while rubbing the back of his neck. He hadn't realized he was staring at Selene, but how could you not? She looked so gorgeous with her wavy brown hair and hazel eyes. She was an angel on earth and he had just made a fool of himself in front of her.

Great job, Percy!

"Selene, this is Percy Jackson," Chiron introduced the boy.

Selene, that was her name, Percy realized. That's what Mr. Brunner or Chiron, had introduced her as. He knew enough to know that her name meant the moon and somehow, it suited her. Percy didn't know if it was the calmness she radiated or her eyes that showed she was mysterious and deadly just like the moon in the dead of the night luring unsuspecting people to their deaths. Whatever it was, it deeply fascinated him.

She gave him a warm smile that managed to calm his thundering heart and he unknowingly gave a small smile in return. Selene too was mesmerized by Percy's sea green eyes that resembled the ocean. An idea as to who his godly parent was popped in her head, but it was impossible. He wasn't supposed to have any kids.

Then again, this is coming from the daughter of a goddess who swore to never have children.

"Hi, Percy. It's a pleasure to meet you," she said, extending her hand. "Hi. I'm Percy Jackson, but you already knew that I-I," Percy fumbled over his words and internally cursed himself for stuttering. She was going to think he was an idiot. To Percy's surprise though, instead of laughing, she gave him a comforting smile which made him regain his composure but speed up his heart rate. Gosh her smile was beautiful.

»»☾➸☽««

"Chiron, I need to talk to you," Selene said. Chiron knew that if she was asking him it meant that it was something personal and important to her. He nodded his head and walked out but stopped at the entrance to tell Percy that Grover would be giving him the tour around the camp.

"What is it, Sel?" Chiron asked. "Mother paid visited me yesterday," she said. She spat out the word 'mother' like it tasted bitter in her mouth.

"What? But that is impossible. None of the gods are supposed to be in contact with their kids." Chiron was shocked by Artemis actions and knew she had to be taking a big risk contacting Selene like that.

"I don't know why she came but she apologized for not being able to protect me and told me to trust my instincts. What's worrying me is that I got a premonition that told me that we would be betrayed by someone on the inside. I have been thinking about it non stop and I don't know what to make of it." Selene looked to Chiron for guidance and hoped that his experience would help her figure this out. Unfortunately, Chiron looked just as clueless and confused as she did when she first got the message.

Selene could almost see the gears of his brain turning as he worked to decipher this vague message. At last, Chiron sighed and said, "I don't know what to make of this either but something tells me that this boy will be the solution to all our problems." Selene scoffed at that

"He doesn't even know who he is! We cannot expect him to take such a big responsibility without him freaking out."

"I know, my child, but we cannot do anything about it." She signed and nodded her head in understanding. "Thank you, Chiron". He smiled warmly at her and watched after her as Selene walked away from him.

Selene was angry and confused and frustrated with the whole situation and the only way she could think of to calm her nerves was to shoot some arrows. Something about the arrow going through the dummy's head brought her satisfaction and the familiarity of nock, aim, shoot, repeat calmed her.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾🌊🌊‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

Percy, meanwhile was having the time of his life [Note the sarcasm] when he realized that all the myths were indeed true and that gods and monsters exist. The only consolation was the revelation that he wasn't losing his mind as he had thought when he saw a cyclops purchasing diet coke at the grocery store was actually happening.

"Look man, I was supposed to be your protector and this happened to you under my charge. I am so sorry about your mom, Percy." Grover looked at Percy with concern and guilt in his expression.

Percy's mother, Sally Jackson, the most awesome and beautiful woman had died last night in front of him as she tried to safely get Percy to camp. He obviously didn't blame Grover. He blamed himself for not being able to fight off the Minotaur and he blamed the monster for taking his mother and he blamed his father for not doing anything to protect his mother. Chiron had told him gods couldn't get involved with their children and he understood that, but his father could have protected his mother. When Chiron told him that Sally put up with Gabe to protect him, all he wanted to do was cry and hug her but he couldn't. He had to keep going and reminding himself that his mom sacrificed herself for him and that he would do anything to respect her last wish.

"It wasn't your fault," was all he could manage. Guilt and despair was evident in his voice as he spoke to his best friend but in all honesty, right now, Grover didn't seem like the most trustworthy person to Percy. Not because of what happened to his mom but because for the last eight months, Percy had believed he was normal and the boy sitting next to him knew the truth about him the whole time yet he waited till the last possible second to tell him he was not normal.

It didn't matter now, though. He knew the truth and he had a job.

Percy and Grover were walking around camp with Grover telling Percy everything about the camp, the cabins, the people, etc., when they saw a small cluster of bystanders at the archery grounds.

"This is where the children of Apollo and anybody who's chosen weapon is a bow and quiver practice. There are large amounts of booby traps and it gets increasingly harder to score a bullseye." Percy, however, was not paying attention to what Grover was saying. He was mesmerized by the way Selene's cinnamon brown hair was moving through the wind and her dazzling yet dangerous smile that made his breath hitch every time he saw it. He didn't realize that he was staring at her again until he felt someone shaking him.

"What?" Percy asked, still dazed.

"Don't even think about it. She is the fiercest demigod and she will crush you like a bug." Percy rolled his eyes at Grover.

The group of bystanders erupted into cheers when Selene shot a clay pigeon while wearing a blindfold. She was just that good and Percy couldn't keep his eyes off her beauty.

***********************************************************************************************

Author Note:

Hi, guys.

Yay!!! Percy and Selene met, Percy is so cute when he is flustered. 

What do you think Artemis visited Selene despite the warning? Poor Percy feeling the loss of his mom.

Vote, comment and let us know if you have any suggestions.