one

I've spent every summer of my life at my mom's beach house in Cousins. That's 17 years of being bundled in a house with my favorite people on this planet.

The beach.

Surfing.

Movie nights. 

Parties.

Everything was perfect.

"Malia! If you don't come get your hair off of the shower wall right now I'm not driving you anywhere this summer!"

Heaven on earth.

That would be my younger brother Jeremiah. Or Jerebear, as I like to call him. He's the radiance of the family. The person who lights up the room as soon as he walks in with his contagious smile and outgoing personality.

"God, could you quiet down! It's like eight in the morning." 

Oh, and that's Conrad. My older brother. I've always had a close connection with him, we seem to understand each other more than other people in the family. He's a local "heart throb" and I would guess that people think he's bitchy at first, although those who get the opportunity to know him see that he's really just a big goof.

My dad has always pushed Conrad to the limit and expected a lot out of him, which pisses me off. I've never been that close with my dad... we just don't have a lot in common and I don't really know what I think of him lately.

Then there's my mom, Susannah. If warmth could be described in a person, it would be Susannah Fisher. I can't remember a single time when I needed her, and she wasn't right by my side. Even though I'm 17, I'm still my mom's "baby girl" and it seems like she will never stop treating me like a kid.

That leaves me, Malia Fisher. Most people call me Lia though. I don't really know where I stand in the family, except having the worst spot as the middle child.

I groaned, pushing myself up from the bed and heading to the bathroom, "Couldn't you just wash it down the drain?" I asked Jeremiah.

He laughed, "No. You needed to get up anyway, the Conklins are on the way."

A bright smile filled my face, remembering that the other half of the family would be showing up soon. 

Well, they weren't actually family, of course.

The arrival of Laurel, Belly, and Steven meant that summer would officially start. The house would belong to the mothers and us kids.

-

Finishing cleaning my room, I picked up the picture frame that showed the five of us smiling. I laughed a little at the memory of Steven messing up Belly's hair and her getting angry with him when a car horn startled me from my thoughts.

"Guys, they're here!" my mom called from downstairs.

I sat down the picture and walked out of my room before rushing down the stairs and following my mom outside.

"Oh, my god." my mom gushed holding onto Laurel. 

I smiled at the two and turned to Jere and Steven who were swaying back and forth, "You've been going to the gym, bro?" Steven asked.

Once they pulled apart, Steven turned towards me and sent me a big smile, "Jesus, Little Lia all grown up?" 

I snorted and shook my head before running up and hugging him. It felt good to see them all again, it didn't feel like home without them around.

"Talk about me? What, did you grow like a foot or something?" I laughed.

Steven playfully shoved my shoulder and I shoved him back before walking over to Belly, throwing my arms around her, "I've missed you so much Bells!" I pulled away, looking her over, "God, why did everyone change so much since last summer?" I laughed.