three

"Do we really have to physically sit for our portraits? Can't she just like, look at a picture on her phone or something?" Jeremiah asked as he whipped us up some eggs.

Surprisingly, I never really feel that hungover after a night out, so I was helping in the kitchen to make smoothies for everyone else. I made sure to smirk over at Steven as I tossed the kale into the blender.

He playfully looked over my shoulder, "You really like kale, don't you?"

I laughed and shoved him away, "Get out of here!"

Groaning from beside us, Jeremiah poured the eggs into the pan, "Can you two stop? Your flirting is going to break the yolk, this is really a delicate science."

"She needs to see you in the flesh in order to capture your essence... While you're still young and full of hope," Laurel referred to Susannah, taking the attention off of me and Steven. Bless that woman.

We all laughed and Laurel peered up at us from her computer screen, "Her words."

Jeremiah turned around, "Well, Conrad does not have hope, actually he is hopeless-" I cut him off, "But, my hangover smoothies cures all."

"Can you please just hurry up?" Conrad groaned from the couch.

I chuckled under my breath, "Calm down, just go back to bed alright?"

"She hasn't painted you since you were little. I think it'd be nice to have these portraits for when you're older," Laurel pushed. I gave her a small smile. Really, I wouldn't mind getting to spend some alone time with my mom, and honestly, I would do anything to make her happy with everything going on.

Steven shook his head, "Old? No- when I'm older I'm sure there will be like- like holograms or something I can watch of myself, you know?"

I rolled my eyes, "Oh yeah? Just like how there were supposed to be flying cars by 2000?" Conrad jolted awake as I turned on the blender.

Laurel was getting desperate, "Just sit for your portraits. I don't see Conrad complaining."

I poured the smoothie into a cup and handed to to Jere, "He'll complain when he's conscious," he said as he brought the eggs and smoothie over to Con.

Steven sat his head on the counter, "Come on, guys, all right? I can't be late for my first day of work."

"We won't, we're good," Jeremiah scolded as he walked by and Steven slapped his butt.

Steven looked so excited, "Those old country club boomers are gonna tip me so hard man, they won't know what hit 'em!" He did some hip thrust thing and I gave him a disgusted look.

Laurel groaned, "Steven, I swear..." I pretended to gag.

Jere laughed, "Come on, Laurel. My boy's gotta get that bread." I swear I actually lose a few brain cells being around them every summer.

I lit up once I saw Belly walk into the kitchen, "Smelly Belly! Here's your hangover smoothie." I walked over and gave her a bear hug.

I zoned out as Laurel asked about her bruise until my mom walked into the room, "Oh, my god. Belly is going to be a debutante."

"I'm sorry. My sister. Belly. Like, that thing right there?" Steven asked and I hit the back of his head.

Belly gave me a fist bump, "Shut up, Cretin."

I slid over the counter top and kissed my mom on the cheek before running upstairs to grab my things for work. My mom yelled up that they were going shopping, but that she would grab me a few new things.