seven

"You look gorgeous, baby," My mom beamed at me from behind the portrait canvas.

It was my turn to sit for my mom, and I wasn't complaining. I needed time alone to talk to  her about everything going on, "Thanks mom."

She chose to put me in a white dress that had gold accents that she said would compliment Jeremiah's 'greek god' portrait. 

She peered up from behind the painting and calculated my emotions before looking back down, "So, you gonna tell me what's going on with you and Steven?"

My eyes widened and I looked around to make sure no one was able to hear, "How did you know?"

My mom smiled and let out a small chuckle, "I know everything that goes on in my babies' lives. Besides, have you seen the way that boy looks at you?"

I pursed my lips when I felt heat rush to my cheeks, "I don't know what to do, mom. I like him a lot... and he likes me, but the boys would be mad at me and there's just so much going on right now."

My mom put down her paint brush and walked over to grab my hands, "Lia, you can't let the fear of something happening hold you back from going after what you desire. You're young, beautiful, and SO smart," she tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, "live in the moment."

I smiled and held back tears from showing, "Thanks, mom. I love you." I whispered reaching out to hug her.

She pulled away and brushed off my shoulders, straightening out my hair, "Now, go sit down again so I can finish painting you."

I nodded, following her instructions.

The thought that my mom was sick and hiding it from everyone, just so that we could all have a good summer was the most painful feeling I could ever imagine.

-

Everyone cheered after my mom's speech at the Play It Forward volleyball tournament. I was excited to watch Belly and Taylor play, hopefully they would win and raise money for their charity.

Steven and I didn't want to play, but we figured that we would get some other people and play volleyball on an empty court during the game breaks, "If we were actually playing, I would totally destroy you," I whispered up to him.

He pretended to be offended, "Nah, you wouldn't know what hit you!"

I slapped his chest and walked away, "You're so weird."

We were cheering on Belly's first game when Taylor got hurt and asked Jeremiah if he could sub in, "You okay?" I asked when she walked off the sand.

She winked, "Just giving Jeremiah his shot." 

I laughed and shook my head, returning to watch the game, eventually seeing the two win and move on to the next round.

Steven and I sat next to each other in the sand watching as Jeremiah struggled through the next game until Belly called to substitute him in. 

Poor Jere.

Eventually, we got bored and went to play our own little game, and by the time we came back to the main courts, Belly and Conrad had won!

Walking out of the event with Belly and Taylor, Nicole ran up to us, "Hey, guys! Um, so my dad's boat just came up from Anguilla. So, what do you guys think about a pizza and rose in a few hours?"

I smiled at her gesture, "I'm in!"

-

"It's the one think I've wanted my whole life, for Conrad to ask me to go somewhere, and to-to an actual ball. And it was all because his mom asked?" Belly ranted to me and Taylor on the docks.