eight

"Oh, Belly, you should get going. Oh, and everyone stay out of the family room! I have all of your portraits in there." My mom called as I walked down the stairs in the morning.

I flinched when I saw just how much stuff was going on, and was almost tempted to go back up to my room. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't a deb girl after all, because this is stressing me out when I'm not one. 

"Good morning sunshine!" Jere smiled and looped his arm around mine, making me help him bring stuff to Belly's car. 

I stood off to the side pretending to be interested in my mom's plants when Belly came outside and talked to Jere by the car.

Grimacing, I tried to signal for Jere to stop kissing Belly when Steven pulled into the driveway, but he didn't catch the hint. 

Once Jeremiah went inside, Steven stomped out of the jeep, "What the freak? Are you kidding me? You and Jeremiah?"

"It just happened," Belly tried to defend herself.

He walked up next to me, "What-what like, just now?"

Belly looked anywhere but at us, "Like a week ago."

"Oh my G... Are you kidding?" Steven pretended to gag and I slapped the back of his head.

I laughed, "Don't act like you didn't have your tongue down my throat last night."

He stared dead at me and Belly laughed before muttering, "Now, that is disgusting..."

"You weren't supposed to expose us!" Steven threw his hands in the air.

"Oh, calm down. She already knew," I winked at Belly and she smiled at me for saving her before walking away.

"You have to come inside, I got you something," I smiled at Steven and pulled him up to his room.

"Woah," he picked up the dress shirt and suit jacket from his bed, "You didn't have to get me anything..."

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, "I couldn't have my date to the ball showing up in shorts and a long sleeve."

Smiling back at me, Steven bent down and placed a peck on my lips before ushering me out the door, "You better go get ready before they get suspicious."

-

I smiled and accepted Steven's hand to step out of the car. I was wearing a satin light green dress that was simple but perfect... my mom picked it out because she said it brought out my eyes.

"You look beautiful," he whispered into my ear once I was out of the car. I smiled and wrapped my arm through his as we pretended to be some high-class couple. 

"My handsome date," my mom laughed as she also linked her arm with Conrad's.

My mom started tearing up as we all reached the top stair, "Look at us... it's perfect." I smiled and reached for her hand holding my own tears at bay. I was glad that we could make her happy.

Jeremiah sighed, "Mom, you're not gonna cry, are you?"

"And ruin my makeup? No way," she scoffed, "It's just... everything is going to be different next year. Conrad's going off to college... It may be the last summer that we're all together." I squeezed Steven's arm to keep myself from choking up.

Jeremiah smiled at all of us, "Just don't forget, I get a dance from you tonight."

They playfully started dancing and I smiled at the interaction until my mom stood up straight and got dizzy, "You okay momma?" I asked holding her steady.