Chapter 16: The Truth

After stepping into his room I began. I told him about Xyrus and the attack, I told him about the upcoming war and how I lost everything. I told him what lead to me coming back.

"Since when have you been this, future you?" He asked in a serious tone.

"I turned back time long enough for me to be born again. I wanted to start from the very beginning. If I changed something that could change everything, but I didn't mind. I only made a few major changes so far." I said looking at him. "I at first killed the strongest scythe of the other continent. Then the next one was confessing to Tess so early on. And maybe getting into white core would also fit this category."

"Arthur, Do you love my granddaughter or is she a means to an end?"

"I have only ever loved her. As long as I can remember I only loved her, no one else. Becoming king is not something I want. I only tolerate it, because it allows me to be with her."

"Arthur. What you've told me changes nothing about how I see you. It explains your skills and strength, but about who you are it changes nothing. You saved my granddaughter from what you've told dozens of times. She loves you and you love her, that's what matters. Although I am still suprised you killed the strongest of the other continent."

"Thank you, Gramps" I said tears streaming down my face. "And about Cadell, I felt it needed to be done so he can't make protecting my loved ones more difficult."

He pulled me into a hug letting me cry on his shoulder. I didn't care If I was acting immature. I could finally tell someone what I went through. I could just talk to Cecil, but she didn't know the people I lost like Gramps does.

After a few minutes he let me go.

"Now, go back to your room. You shouldn't keep you princess waiting. What if she wakes up and can't find you?" He said obviously teasing.

After I went back to my room, I just thought about my plan again. How will Tessia react? Is the time I chose the right one? Will she be able to accept me? I hope so.

The next day I woke up early and left the castle right after breakfast. I opened a portal in one of the unused rooms of the castle to the Helstea manor. This was going to be the portal Ellie was going to use for going to school so I thought setting it up ahead of time made it easier and this way we could meet the Helsteas anytime.

As I stepped trough, I took my normal form. For the first time in a while I used the dimension ring I got from the Eraliths. After I left the manor I started walking towards the castle. The streets were quite since it was still early morning.

As I arrived at the castle gates the guards understandably stopped me.

"What is your business here boy?" he asked eyeing me suspiciously.

"My name is Arthur Leywin. I am here to duel the prince." I responded bowing slightly.

"Oh you're the boy the king mentioned. Please follow me to the training ground. Arlon notify the prince of Mr. Leywin's arrival." He said turning to the guard next to him.

We walked to the training through the castle. The hallways were filled woth pictures in contrast to the clean hallways of the Elenoir Castle. The red and gold theme fit the castle well. When we finally arrived at the grounds, I was shown to the weapons, but I opted to use dawn's ballad dulling it with mana. After a few minutes Curtis arrived on the other side of the arena. He greeted me with a friendly handshake before asking if I was ready. I nodded as we both took a stance. The guard who took me here signaled the beginning of our duel.

I opted to take a more defensive stance at the start to access Curtis's abilities better. He was using a shield and a short sword. As he attacked, I noticed problems immediately. His swings were way too wide and slow, he was full of openings, his footwork was sloppy wasting a lot of energy with almost every step. He had potential, but still had a very long way to go. After a few minutes of dodging and defending I decided to end the duel. With a light swing I disarmed him and with a slight push knocked him off balance. As he fell on his behind, I pointed dawn's ballad at his neck signaling the end of our duel.

I helped him up before pointing out a few mistakes he had made. As I put away my sword he said something I wasn't expecting.

"Arthur, why don't you join us for lunch?"

"Would it really be fine? I am just a peasant after all."

"You are my friend. You have every right to eat with me and my family."

Blaine Glayder POV

I was looking over some paperwork when I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I said watching the guard step in.

"Your majesty, I am here to report on the duel of Prince Curtis and the peasant." He started. "Unexpectedly during the full duration of the duel it was very apparent that the boy was just playing with the Prince, accessing his abilities. The way he defended himself was better than any royal knight I know. I watched the duel searching for opening in his movements but couldn't find a single one. Not a single muscle movement was wasted. He attacked only once parring the prince's last attack immediately disarming him and winning the duel."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Based on what the guard said this boy surpassed any one of my knights, despite not even being from a noble family. I finally had a plan. But I needed to speak to the boy.
"The prince also invited the boy to stay for lunch." The guard finished to my delight.

"Thank you for the report. I am going to talk to the boy during lunch then." I responded quickly dismissing the guard.

This was just perfect.

Arthur POV

Curtis and I sat down at the castles dining table. Not long after Princess Kathyln arrived. When the king and queen arrived, I quickly stood up and bowed. They seemed surprised at my politeness but appreciated it. The food was extravagant although I noticed there was a lot more meat than I was used to. While eating I noticed King Blaine looking at me from time to time. Was he checking if I knew proper etiquette? Probably.

After we finished the King spoke to me.

"Boy, I have heard how you performed during you duel with my son and I had an idea. Would you like to train Curtis?"

I somewhat expected this question, but still doubted he would ask a peasant to train the prince. But this was a good opportunity. If I was here training the prince every week the connection between me and Note would become impossible to make since for anyone else traveling between the Glades and Xyrus instantly was impossible. So to the royal family's delight I accepted. We agreed that I would visit every Saturday early in the morning to train the prince and he would train with others during the week. Just as I was about to leave Princess Kathyln asked if maybe she could meet with Ellie and the Helstea girls sometime. I told her that if she has a time in mind, I could tell them to either come to the castle or wait for her in the manor.

To her delight her parents agreed to let her go to the manor so we agreed that I would tell the Helsteas and my parents that she would be coming tomorrow along with a guard. Even though quietly I could hear the royal couple agreeing to send Varay with her.

After I arrived back in the manor I told the Helsteas about the princess's upcoming visit and then went back to Elenoir through the portal. My parents were happy about me training the castle and the Eraliths saw it as a positive thing for the future of the continent even if my identity as the prince was not known to the Glayders yet.

This was going to be an interesting few years.

_____________________________________

Well, hello there! I hope you all enjoyed today's chapter. Tomorrow we are going to start with a very different perspective, and I hope you will enjoy it!

Also thank you everyone for the 4000 reads and 400 votes!

This has been Salty and see you all tomorrow!