Coming Home

It was apparent that Phoenix was in a lot of pain.

I watched as she dug her nails into Ghoul's arm and made sounds, as if she wanted to say something, but couldn't. Ghoul was quick to take off his shirt and apply pressure to the wound, which was gushing with blood. I started to see that Fours' motel hideout begin to come into view.

"Hold on, love," Ghoul murmured. "We're almost home."

This is actually one of the first times I would ever be inside the Fabulous Fours' hideout. Before my mind could drift off to the thought of it, Show Pony slammed on his brakes right outside the door, the car next to us doing the same. The other three spilled out of the back of the van and huddled towards Ghoul, who was starting to open the car door. I heard Phoenix try to talk, staggering upwards to try and walk.

"Ghoul..." Phoenix whimpered. "I can... I'm fine..."

Ghoul didn't even answer before he scooped her up into his arms, holding her close to his chest. The Killjoys followed closely behind him, trying to get a closer look at her wounds. I tried to get out, but Pony stopped me.

"Kid, we gotta go."

"What?!" I screamed back at him. "No, Phoenix needs me!"

"Rocket," Pony said. "Enough, get in the seat."

I looked behind me. The Killjoys were gone.

Without an answer, I sat back down in the back seat, crossing my arms. I watched the rain fall on the windows, studying the different paths and streams the water fell into. After nearly an entire ride full of silence, Pony spoke.

"I know you want to feel important and everything Rocket, really, I do," Pony spoke softly. "But... The Killjoys need space right now. They just got home. I'm sure Phoenix will visit you when she can. They all need time to recover, okay?"

"Yeah," I answered quickly. "I know, I know. I get it."

"Good. I promise you, she'll come to see you when she can."

What if she doesn't, though?

****

I sat in my room, listening to Notes in Constellations by Chiodos, hoping the music would make me feel better. That song in particular made me think about Phoenix and Ghoul; well, more specifically, their love. They had something not everyone would be able to experience, and they were so so lucky to have each other. I admire their dedication. It made me wonder if I would ever have someone who loves me. I mean, sure, I've dated before of course, but it was nothing more than flings that didn't last. Fire Shock was the first person I had kissed, and we dated for a month or so. I really liked her, but it didn't last long. She left for Zone 5, (for what reason, I don't know), so we called it off. Then there was Cyber Beam; he was nerdy, but sweet. I didn't feel a connection with him, though, so it only lasted for two weeks. We still see each other from time to time, and he's really nice. I just... didn't feel anything more than friendship with him or Fire Shock. In fact, I haven't felt a connection with anyone I've dated so far. I want someone I feel sparks with. Someone who I felt something more with.

But, I suppose now isn't the time to worry about it.

I sat on the ground on an old shaggy carpet, leaning up against my bedframe. I sat there and sketched for a little while until I saw my collection of beads underneath my bed.

"Huh," I giggled to myself quietly. "Haven't touched those in a while."

I pulled out two big boxes of bracelet making kits, observing the faded pictures on each of the lids. Each had rainbow text and a little girl making pink bracelets.

"Ages 5-13?!" I exclaimed. "Guess I really am a rebel now."

I took off the covers and took note of the vibrant colored beads. The first box was a jumble of letters and spaces and colors all thrown into a box; the second was neatly organized by color in small dividers, and they looked like they were made of glass; I took note to be careful with those.

Thrown on top of the beads were safety scissors and a few different colored threads. I decided what I would do; I would make a friendly gesture for the Killjoys and Phoenix by making some beaded bracelets for them. I hoped they would appreciate it and not think I was a total loser.

I started with Phoenix's for whom I already had an idea for. I took orange thread and cut a piece off. I took out two star beads and looked through the letter bin and found the letters I needed. Patterning red and orange glass beads, I finished the bracelet, which read:

FROM THE ASHES

I smiled at it, hoping that Phoenix would love it. Next, I planned out Ghoul's.

I found white, plastic circle beads and black letters. Using up the remaining black glass beads, Ghoul's bracelet read:

LOOK ALIVE SUNSHINE

The next bracelet was red thread and blue and white star shaped beads. The message on his read:

MAKE SOME NOISE

Jet's was next; a simple blue and black glass pattern on clear thread:

BULLETPROOF HEART

Finally, I got down to Kobra Kid. I used warm colored glass beads and contrasting black thread. The message:

SING IT OUT

I held the little collection in my hands, smiling down on the gifts that I had made for my new friends. Hopefully these would mean something to them. I looked over at my bead collection once more, about to put them away. Then, I noticed something; I didn't have a bracelet for myself. I turned my head towards the purple glass beads that glistened in the sunlight coming in through the dusty window. I took black thread and beaded blue stars and the purple beads in a pattern.

My message?

LETS CHANGE THE WORLD