Chapter 20: Reminder (Luz's POV)

(This episode isn't going to result in Goldric in this fic. I'm not planning on adding Goldric at all, sooo)

Luz woke up to the sound of an alarm on her phone. She reached for the phone and tugged it off its charger without getting up from her sleeping bag. The opened her eyes slightly to read the text displayed on the phone.

"EVENT REMINDER WITH MAMI" is shown in bold letters.

Luz gasped and rapidly sat up. Sadness took over her expression as she realized how much she really missed her mom. She tapped on the notification and two buttons showed up, accept or ignore. Luz pressed ignore and stared at her phone, now empty of notifications once more...

Luz scribbled down some words on a whiteboard with one hand while holding up a paper to the board with the other.

"I think she's going insane," Luz could hear Hunter whisper.

"Uh, feelin' okay, Luz?" King asked from behind her.

"I feel great!" Luz rolled the whiteboard to the side to reveal a table covered in books, scrolls, and papers, "Today's gonna be a productive day of problem solving!"

Luz grabbed a large scroll that was actually a checklist and handed it to Eda.

"Successfully build a portal to the Human Realm? Learn every glyph combination? Figure out what Belos is planning and show him what for?" Eda asked, reading off the checklist.

"Human- uh, Luz, I don't want you to overwork yourself-" Hunter began.

"Speak for yourself! And Look! I've already learned a new combo! Excuse me, Francois," Luz grabbed Francois carefully from King and stuck a glyph onto it, "I call it the safety hover!"

Luz threw the stuffed toy into the air but right before it hit the floor it hovered for a moment.

"Ooh! That'll work great when birds try to fly away with me!" King commented.

"Luz that's seriously incredible, and I mean that too, but are you ok? Because you don't look-" Hunter began again.

"And I'm already on my way to building a second door!" Luz interrupted, wanting to avoid confrontation at all costs.

She gestured to Hooty who was somehow holding up a door, tape, a plank of wood, and a broom while also holding a note in his mouth. Suddenly, he sneezed, causing himself and everything he was holding up to fall to the ground.

"Uh, it's a work in progress... But hey! Hunter knows stuff that we don't know about the Emperor, right?" Luz asked.

"Well, I do, but... It would be betrayal on my part!" Hunter exclaimed.

"Oh come on, you nerd! You already betrayed him!" Eda retorted.

"But it would be further betrayal then! ...He's still my un- my uh- My emperor you know?" Hunter replied.

"Hmm, you're avoiding something Luz, spill it," Eda deadpanned.

How had seen through Luz so easily? What did Luz do to give it away? Had it been because she was doing too much? But she always tried her best, didn't she?

"I am not- Maybe I am, okay, I definitely am..." Luz admitted as she sat on an empty part of the table.

Luz watched out of the corner of her eye as Eda, King, and Hunter sat close to her, and Eda wrapped her old grudgby jacket around her.

"Every year, me and Mom have this little ritual we do, it's nothing big, I just miss her, that's all..." Luz confessed sadly.

"What you need is a healthy distraction from your problems. Like breakfast!" King exclaimed.