10

I woke up to the sound of bells blaring— Flara's request that I didn't oversleep. I stretched my body well, kicking my sheets above me with my feet, before relaxing and letting the comforter float back down on top of my frame. I let myself stay a moment longer in that unconscious but awake state. Finally tumbling out of bed, I noticed the uniform folded neatly at the end of my bed along with the pair of shoes  perfectly parallel to the stack of clothes. Those weren't there when I had finally gotten back to my room last night. Oh last night. I thought it was a dream, but my own hands found the hem of my shirt and reminded me it wasn't. Cato and I were still alive and feeling. I pinch the cloth in my fingers remembering Cato. I hope I can remember this sensation in my stomach after I die.
By now the alarm had ended, and instead the noise filling my room was the distant shuffling and clattering as breakfast was being prepared at the table down the hallway. Quickly, I undressed and redressed in the uniform and shoes, completing my uniform by tying Junie's ribbon around my wrist. Looking in the mirror opposite from my bed, I tucked my hair behind my ears, flatting the rest as neat as I could and leaving to join breakfast.
On arrival, Jacob, Flara and Jo were already seated and ready to eat. Flara had a large news paper in her hands which she obnoxiously flapped, then dropped into her lap when she noticed my entrance. "Ah, y/n my darling! Look at her glowing." I'm sure I looked quite the opposite after my lack of sleep. I gave Flara a look as if to say "what are you talking about?".

"Oh darling, you're the most popular tribute among the Capitol as of now."

"What?"

"They love the story about that little girl you volunteered for, plus you're with the careers. It's charming, really."

"Her name is June— and I'm not with the careers" How did people find out the careers wanted me? We're not even in the arena, let alone televised yet.

"So, you're joining Katniss, Rue and I?" Jacob piped up,

"I—Jacob I can't be with anyone. In fact, no one is really with anyone. You'll all have to turn against each other at some point and I don't want to be around when it happens."

No one had anything else to say, the silence felt deafening. This lead me to promptly set down my cutlery and leave the room. I headed to the elevator but I didn't know where I was going.

*****

I stepped into the elevator, unsure of what button to press until someone came to stand beside me in the compartment. Clove's hand landed on the basement button, that's where our stylists were located.

"Floor?" she asked, not even bothering to look at me as we stood side by side.

"Um, same as you. Thanks."

For a moment we stood there together awkwardly staring into the elevator doors, the noise of the machinery moving was all that was heard.

"Cato told me your decision, y/n."

I didn't have the courage to respond. She glanced up at me through her dark eyebrows, not bothered to move her head.

"It wasn't a smart one. However, the Capitol is expecting us to be a team entering the arena... Or at least you and the idiot that elected himself as leader. I guess we won't be able to kill you as quickly."

I could hear my own breathing matched by my heart rate.

"Wouldn't want risk the loss of any sponsors," she laughed. I was still frozen. Finally, the elevator bell chimed and Clove began to exit.

"See you around, Seven." She left and I could breath.

I was just another number to her again. Whatever nervous feeling I now had in my gut began to make me think Clove was right. I did make a mistake. Quickly, I stepped out of the elevator, and began to walk in the direction of District Seven's cosmetics department, more specifically, Rocky's station.