6

It was already 7am when I woke up from one of the deepest sleeps I think I've ever had. I yawned raising my arms above my head, and instantly relaxing at the sight the bright view of the cityscape below.
Shit. It's already 7am.
I hop out of bed quickly pulling on the the grey and red outfit marked '7' laid out on my dresser.

Jo had mentioned we would be training earlier than the other tributes as a tactic, this way they wouldn't be able to scout us out and quote-on-quote Jo, "you guys won't have to act like pussies during training."

Cursing to myself again, I fumble to lace up my boots. Finally I manage to tie them and sprint into the common room.
Everyone else in District 7's party is already at the table eating breakfast and enjoying some sort of bubbly conversation. But the loud chatter is quickly silenced at the sound of my footsteps echoing against the cathedral like walls. Flara's head immediately snaps around at my presence. My eyes avert to the ground and I brace myself, ready to bare whatever shit she's about to throw at me this time.

"Where have you been? You have training in ten--"

"Oh, shut up Flara," Jo dully interrupts rolling her eyes,

"Just leave the kid alone, these are gonna be the last good sleeps she'll have in a while."

I look up at Jo and she sighs. She's right, and I begin to ponder my awful and timely situation once again.
There's only mere days until my almost inevitable death, this makes me decide I now might as well treat them as the best. From now on I'll make the most of my training time, and splurge on learning new survival skills and tactics. I build myself into a Victor. If I'm going to win the Hunger Games, I'll waste no time in my last few hours becoming as lethal as possible.
I look over my shoulder at Jacob, I can tell he's probably considering what he's going to make of our shared situation now as well. This causes him to find my eyes. He looks sad almost as he smiles, but Jacob quickly becomes more interested in the piece of toast on his plate once again.

Flara finally purses her lips, agreeing with Jo before she tisks,
"right well, no late mornings from now on, eat up child. You now have training in..." She quickly glances at the clock, "8 minutes".

× × × × ×

It's 7:25 when the elevator dings and we step out into the huge training facility. It's empty. Perfect.
The facility looks like a Peacekeeper's playground. There's racks upon racks full of silver weapons, multiple survival stations-- forest themed, and jungle-gym like militant obstical courses.

"I'm not "technically"," Jo begins adding air quotes, "allowed to train you two until the final day, so I'll be outside if you two have any questions. We'll head back upstairs at 11 for lunch and more talk on statistical bullshit, then you guys have testing to get cleaned up for..."

It's awkwardly silent for a moment, before Jo rolls her eyes,
"Well? Get to it." She practically shews us into the facility, closing the doors behind us. Thus my training begins.

I begin to walk towards the survival stations but Jacob's hand catches my wrist.
"(Y/N), I-- you're good with a knife and you know how to live off the land," I nod cuing him to continue,

"Teach me how to use a weapon or something, I can't die first in that bloody arena and not at the hands of someone else. Especially without a fight." Jacob pleads, I admire his ambition, his words remind me of something Ferne would say. Slowly, I nod and a wash of relief floods Jacob's face.

"But," I continue, "Only on the condition of an alliance..."  

"Of course you have my alliance, you idiot!" Jacob is quick to say, "I want to help you. I owe you my help."

I hug Jacob, thanking him. "You don't owe me anything for what happened... We're friends, ok?" I say quietly looking up at him and he nods.
I pull away from Jacob now directing him to follow me to the track surrounding the facility.

"First lesson: cardio."

× × × × ×

It's nearly 10 when Jacob and I finally agree on a water break. So far we've covered basic fitness and survival skills as well as a few lessons with knives and an ax. All that's left is good old hand-to-hand combat. Jacob has caught on to everything quite fast and it turns out he has some killer skills with an ax, literally. I laugh to myself looking over at the four dummies that now lay in pieces that he easily slaughtered.
My thoughts are interrupted at the sound of the sliding doors opening. It's of course the career pack lead by Cato. Jo had explained they would be arriving early to get ahead of everyone, thus we would arrive earlier. Behind Cato is his district partner; a small brunette girl, Glimmer and her district partner a thinner boy with dirty blond hair.
Cato soon notices me and Jacob sitting by the water station and he smirks at me.
I quirk an eyebrow and return his grin in an attempt to better conceal my probably flushed cheeks.
This obviously displeases Glimmer as she jealously attaches her hand to Cato's bicep. This causes the small brunette girl to roll her eyes and shake her head, urging the group back to training.

Jacob and I watch in awe as they naturally begin with weapon training. I notice they each have a specific skill; Marvel's (Jacob reminds me of their names) is a spear, Glimmer struggles mostly, but seems best with a bow, Clove has throwing knives and Cato a sword.

I let my gaze linger a little longer on Cato.
I'm practically mesmerized by his body's swift, rythemic motions as he pierces another dummy with his sword. I guess he could probably sense my eyes tracing his back and he looks in my direction panting, his skin slick with glistening sweat. God he's hot. Cato's eyes are caught on mine for a moment longer before he turns back and begins slashing the dummies even harder than before.

Then I notice the hand now tugging on my shoulder to get my attention.

"Hey!" It's Glimmer. She sickly smiles down at me.
"What do you think you're doing 7, eyeing up my teammates? Do you think you could be a part of our pack or something? Because I'm sure a skinny little girl like you couldn't hurt a fly." She says venomously, as she surveys my thin and malnourished frame.

My throat feels dry as the words get caught in the back of my mouth, I back away from her, attempting to shield my awful body. My eyes begin to dart all over the place looking for an answer.
Maybe I could use this, I begin to form an idea. I'll play the weak, innocent girl who couldn't pose as a threat. That is, until they see me in action. Just as she smirks at my silence ready to walk away with victory, I manage to speak.

"I-I'm not weak." I make myself stutter. This now has the other tributes attention, a small crowd begins to form around us. Glimmer scoffs adding a laugh, "well then prove it." She nods to the wrestling mats.

Jacob gives me a look, reminding me that we can't show off anything before testing. But I shake him off and stand up to Glimmer's level.
She jesters for me to step up into the ring first.
I position myself to duel, ready for her to step in and fight but she speaks up once again, crossing her arms and sniggering,

"If you really want to prove your strength, how about you duel the strongest member of our pack," Glimmer looks over her shoulder and calls for him.

"Cato! Come here, you have a new sparring partner."