Chapter Four: Padmé and Obi-Wan [Part Two]

PADMÉ'S POV

TEN YEARS LATER...

Sorgan proved to be a suitable home for me, Obi-Wan, and my children. The locals of a small krill farming community welcomed us with open arms, providing us with a lodge and hiring Obi-Wan as a harvester. I stayed home and cared for Luke and Leia, watched them grow, and eventually offered to become a governess for other people's children while they went out to work.

Whenever we traveled the day's journey to the nearest town for supplies, Obi-Wan and I acted as husband and wife. I would link my arm through his as we carelessly strolled through the market and town square. Obi-Wan and I each carried one child in a swing on our chests. People complimented our little "family".

As Luke and Leia grew up, so did Obi-Wan and I. His beard grew thicker, aging wrinkles set in his face. I cut my long hair to my shoulders to adapt to the warm, humid atmosphere. My clothes changed from soft, white silk to light cotton with warm colors. Obi-Wan even retired his traditional robes for the typical farmer's attire, consisting of work boots and light-colored tunic over airy pants so he could work in the best condition.

Now, ten years later, everyday was the same. Luke and Leia played with the other children I governed. It warmed my heart to see them have friends and have a simple childhood, despite their upbringing. We had already explained how Obi-Wan wasn't their real father, but that didn't affect the ex-Jedi's relationship with them. Obi-Wan cared and loved them with all his heart. He had built us a home with our own land, and he lived up to his promises: he provided, he protected, and he put every fiber of his being to creating the life we all deserved.

One night, after he and I tucked the children into bed, I was on my way to my room to turn in when Obi-Wan suddenly stopped me. "I have, something to ask you about. Something, that's been weighing on my mind for years."

"Of course." I nodded, and we sat outside on our porch that he had constructed with his own hands. I remember the nights he'd come back to the lodge with his knees and hands all bloodied from the woodwork, and I dress and redress his wounds as we casually laughed all about the trials and errors of building a house. "What is it, Obi-Wan?"

"The children, are coming of age." He seemed so nervous as he leaned over his knees, covering his mouth with his trembling hands. "I can feel, the Force flowing through them. It's growing stronger and stronger every day. I know, I should've brought this matter to you years ago, but I just didn't know how and the years passed so quickly."

"You're saying, Luke and Leia could be in danger?" I guessed.

"I'm not sure, and that's what worries me."

"What are you proposing?"

Obi-Wan closed his eyes and buried his face in his hands. Whatever he wanted to say, he'd been holding onto it for a long time, and it agonized him. I slipped my fingers between one of his hands to comfort him, assuring him with a soft voice. "Whatever it is, it's okay."

"I think it's time," Obi-Wan finally breathed. "That I train Luke and Leia. In the ways of the Force."

My eyes widened. My lips parted, but no words came.

"Padmé?"

"And you believe this is the best for them?"

"It is not my decision." Obi-Wan said, squeezing my fingers. "They are your children. It does not matter what I believe."

"Does not matter?" I repeated with utter shock. "What have we done with our lives then? And where has it gotten us if you do not matter?"

"My lady—"

"My lady?!"

"I'm sorry...Old habits..." I realized then how stressed Obi-Wan has been. It must've been so hard on him to keep this from me. To care for me and the children like we were his own wife and blood...I've seen him with Luke, teaching him how to become a man. And Leia...he even learned how to braid her long, dark-brown hair for her. Like a true father. And yet, deep down, he had this sense of duty to us, this whole time, even to me, the ex-senator.

"No, Obi-Wan, I am sorry." I reached my hand up and cupped his jaw, his beard tickled my palm. "I never realized just how hard this has truly been for you...You've kept your promises. You've been raising Luke and Leia just like any true father would. You comforted me when I've had my nightmares, but I never reciprocated when you had yours...I just, I guess I just didn't know how to."

"Padmé—"

"If you think training Luke and Leia is the best thing for them, for us, then please..." I leaned my forehead against his. "Train them."

"Are you sure you trust me?" Obi-Wan's eyes watered. "After what happened with Anakin? I-I couldn't save him. I was his master, and I couldn't save him from the dark side..."

"You cannot blame yourself for what happened." I caressed his beard. "Just like I can't blame myself. No one is to blame. Anakin, made his choice...and now, he's gone. You are still here though, and you can give Luke and Leia the life they deserved, and the training they need. Of course, I trust you. I trust you with every fiber of my being. And so does the twins. We put our lives in your hands, and you have never failed us."

"Then, it's decided..." Obi-Wan clasped onto my wrists, leading my hands down from his face while he tilted his chin to kiss my forehead. It was the first time he had ever shown that sort of affection. "I will tell them in the morning. For now, you should go get some sleep."

"You should, too." I said, and together we walked into our home.