𝐈𝐈. 𝐙𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐚

[ 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐈𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐉𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐣𝐢 ]

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐫

Daniel Shepherd looked around the room and tried to determine how exactly he had wound up where he was.

The room itself was quaint and far too small to contain the seven individuals currently scattered around the outskirts of the walls. He'd tried to leave earlier, but it turned out that the door was locked without any indication of when that would change.

Danny looked down as he felt a small hand tug on the edge of his shirt. Seeing little Lisa below, he bent down to his knees so that he might be eye-level with the girl.

"I'm bored," she complained and he couldn't help but nod his head in agreement.

"Maybe we could break down the door."

Danny frowned at the suggestion that came from across the room. Walter Browning stopped leaning against the wall and walked toward the door as if considering the option that he'd provided.

Danny rolled his eyes. Walt had easily taken on the mantle of the popular jock around the town, but without his crowds of adoring fans in the room, he was more of an annoyance than anything else. An annoyance that was also his step-brother.

Seven years had passed since Danny had been introduced to the world of Jumanji his freshman year of high school. However, now a junior in college, that world was all but a dream. His father had gotten remarried after the divorce which resulted in not just one new sibling, but two as Lisa was his younger half-sister.

However, that wasn't the worst of his living conditions. His father's new job had made him popular in the car-making industry, forcing them to move so that he could be closer to his occupation. Away from friends and everything he was acquainted with, Danny felt as if he'd been stripped of everything that he'd built his identity around in the small town of Brantford.

Now that his father was a big deal, well he was forced to mingle with the other kids who belonged to parents of equal importance. However, the banquet had gone less than smoothly and as a result, the seven kids had been locked in a room with nothing more than a tv to amuse themselves with.

"Perhaps we should consider playing a game," Claire Allen suggested, clearly not a fan of the awkward silence that had filled the room previously.

"Or I could pick the lock," Luciana de la Vega made her own suggestion, pulling a bobby pin from her hair.

"You've had that the whole time?" Sam Lee asked, pulling his hood down from his head as if he couldn't believe his eyes.

Luciana nodded her head with a shrug. "Nobody asked before."

Danny turned his head. While the others in the room focused on escaping, Gabrielle Wilson remained unfazed at the back of the room. She turned another page in the book that she had somehow found in the midst of the empty room and continued to ignore the group.

He slowly approached and took a seat beside her. Although she wasn't startled, she turned her head to look at Danny. A look of irritation flashed across her face.