None of the servants seem surprised when I enter the kitchen in my nightgown. The hem of the dress is coated in a thick layer of mud, serving as an obvious telltale of my midnight walk. I quickly snatch a bread roll on my way out, mumbling a thank you as I stuff my mouth. At the foot of the stairs my lady-in-waiting Iliyana sits, impatiently expecting my return.

"Another sudden late night headache I assume?" She asks, softly taking my cloak off my shoulders. With a slight push she ushers me to my room. A pale blue gown lies waiting on the bed. Its long sleeves are adorned with white ribbons. Lacy trim runs alongside the bodice. The large skirt sparkles in the sunlight, almost giving it the appearance of melting ice. On any other occasion I would have been thrilled to wear the stunning garment, but in this moment it fills me with a feeling of unease.

At seeing my expression, Iliyana gently guides me to my vanity chair, running a soothing hand through my white locks. I'm too lost in my thoughts to notice her weaving my hair into an intricate braid. She tenderly places her calloused hand on my cheek, turning me to face her.

"I can't possibly fathom what you are feeling right now, I wish so dearly I could make all of this go away." She starts, sweetly tucking a lone lock of hair behind my ear. "And yet in a way I'm glad. Crinyth and Otratha in union, with our fair-minded queen on the throne. You will bring a new era of peace and contentment to our kingdom, I am certain of it."

"But I won't get a say in the matter, Yana, you know this. Only the king rules the country, the queen is simply there to provide support." I cringe at the mere thought of my impending future.

"Traditionally yes. But I don't believe for a second you would just idly stand by if your husband were to make decisions with disastrous consequences for the people. You may be kind, and timid, and perhaps slightly naive, but underneath your surface a fire burns so brightly, begging to be unleashed.

"You are so much stronger than you think, sweet child. There is no doubt in my heart that when the time comes, no matter what those outdated rules demand, it will be you ruling, guiding our countries into a new age of tranquillity."

Her words fill me with a sense of pride. Though the sinking feeling is still there I now sit a little straighter, and hold my head a little higher. Iliyana continues her work on my hair, weaving tiny blue flowers through the braided strands. Soon the time comes to slip on the gorgeous gown. Once the back is laced up I turn, only to see Iliyana regarding me with a thoughtful look. A proud smile plays on her as she reaches around her neck, undoing the clasp to her dainty necklace. On the thin chain hangs a small round pendant, shining and silver, as if they had taken the moon itself and put it on a string.

"I found it at a small jewelry stand when I first arrived in Crinyth. It's been with me ever since. Though essentially worthless in terms of riches, I find a sense of comfort in it. I highly believe it has kept me safe all these years, and now I hope it might do the same for you." She utters, fastening the clasp around my neck.

"I couldn't possibly accept this." But as I voice the words, I already know objection is futile.

Iliyana finishes the final touch ups before linking her arm with mine. Together we make our way down the stairs and through the hall. My father waits at the large double doors that give entryway to the castle. Striding toward him, I study his appearance. His once dark hair is now littered with gray streaks. Though his face still holds a youthful air, the soft creases around his eyes betray his weariness. With how slowly it has crept along, I've never really paid much mind to these changes. Yet now that I stand here, about to take the first step in taking over his throne, I can see how tired he really is.

"Are you ready?" He asks, fondly smiling down at me.

"No." I answer truthfully. "But fear will not stop me today."

I give the servants a small nod, urging them to open the heavy doors. We step out just in time to see a large royal carriage arriving. With one last deep breath I prepare myself to meet my future.

(A/n) don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it!