The golden details on the carriage reflect in the bright sunlight, basking it in an almost ethereal glow. Two magnificent Friesian horses pull the coach, coming to an elegant halt in front of us. It seems like hours pass before the door swings open. First an older man steps out, clad in a silvery gray ensemble. A golden crown, encrusted with countless jewels, sits low on his brow. His light hair–which I imagine used to be rich and full–now is scattered scarcely atop his head. He holds out his hand as the next person steps out. An elegant woman grabs ahold of it. The woman walks so gently it's almost as if she's floating down the steps. The train of her dress falls around her in a puddle of cherry red.

My breath catches in my throat as the last person steps out. I'd never seen Prince Tolas before, the closest I'd come had been the various stories of his bravery and kindness I had been told. Yet now as he stands before me, I know none of them could ever have prepared me. His light brown hair is combed to the side, soft curls clearly trying to escape their forced place. A nervous smile plays on his thin lips as he fingers the sleeve of his yellow attire. I regard him thoughtfully. He's handsome, that I can admit, but surely beauty is not all that matters. Even so, as his hazel eyes take in my appearance, I can't help but feel the heat rise to my cheeks.

"Reimund, my old friend." My father's voice bellows. "It has been too long."

The two men share an affectionate hug before Father turns his attention to the woman.

"Queen Zuzana." He greets, kissing the back of her hand. "Though the years pass, your beauty remains perpetual."

"You flatter me, Salemon. However, I do believe it is my son who should be paying court to your daughter." Her voice matches her appearance perfectly. It's elegant and soft, but still carries an indistinguishable air of authority. I cower slightly under her intense stare, but when my father beckons me, I have no choice but to step forward.

"It is an honour to meet you." I say to none of them in particular.

"The honour is entirely mine." Prince Tolas speaks for the first time, his lips brush my hand. "Would you be so kind as to accompany me on a stroll through your magnificent gardens?"

My father smiles encouragingly as I grab the young prince's arm. We make our way through the courtyard in silence for a while. Both painfully aware of our parents' ardent stares. The second we turn a corner, Tolas' rigid posture droops and he takes a more relaxed stance.

"You seemed like you desperately wanted to get out of there." He says with a lopsided smile. "I hope that's not presumptuous of me."

The corners of my mouth lift slightly. His playful air already makes me feel less nervous. "On the contrary. I feel like your mother would have officiated the wedding then and there if we stayed any longer."

"Ah yes," he grins. "Mother is a bit too excited about this whole affair."

He's charming, I must say. His cheerful demeanor is contagious, and as we walk through the gardens I feel as though my worries start to melt away. Of course the prospect of having to marry a man I don't even know let alone love still terrifies me, but something about Tolas makes it seem less frightening. We sit down in the grass for a while, enjoying the warm midday sun. A comfortable silence has fallen between us when he reaches over, picking up a small but gorgeous peony.

"My mother always told me you should gift a lady flowers to win her affection. Though this may not be a regular courtship, I do hope you can accept this gift as a sign of my utmost respect."

"I'm afraid that's rather questionable." I respond teasingly, amused by his confused expression. "You see, I'm fairly certain you're not supposed to steal those flowers from the lady's own garden. Additionally, peonies represent anger and wrath so that doesn't necessarily scream mutual respect to me."

"Those are indeed two excellent points you make. I suppose I'm quite unversed in the language of flowers." A dashing smile sweeps across his face. "Perhaps you can educate me further on the matter in the future."

"Then you will just have to continue bringing me flowers each day until you learn."

"I believe I shall. Then maybe one day I will bring you a flower that portrays my true meaning." He teases, running a hand through his curls. I smile down at the peony in my hand, lightly caressing its pink petals. Before long I start to see the other guests arriving. Lords and ladies from both our kingdoms, all eager to witness our engagement. I don't hear most of what he says as we make our way back to the palace, too preoccupied with the sound of the bustling crowd and the music that already leaks through the doors. People greet me on my way in, and I stop to entertain them, not entirely sure if I've met any of them before.

"Wait here." I say to Tolas once we enter the hall. I climb the stairs as quickly as I can, rushing to my room. Once there I grab a glass of water and carefully place the peony on my vanity. The flower sits proudly in the glass, its simple beauty lights up the room. As I turn to leave, I catch my reflection once more. I give myself an encouraging smile before I make my way back down the stairs, where Tolas is still patiently waiting.

(A/N) What's your favourite flower? Don't forget to vote!