The ballroom looks like a dream. Different colored flowers are spread throughout the room. With all the vines hanging down from the ceiling it feels as if we've stepped into a magical garden. The smell of wine fills my nostrils. Guests in their finest garments waltz around us, drinks in hand. To my left, the band plays a whimsical tune as a bard sings his stories of great adventures.

"How much do you want to bet he's making it all up?" Tolas jokes, throwing a glance at the lanky man.

"I've always assumed most bards make their stories up. It doesn't make them any less amusing though. On the contrary, the unbelievable grandeur of it all fills me with excitement each time." I smile back.

"Naturally, your amusement is of the highest importance." He announces with an exaggerated bow. "Therefore allow me to go on a most treacherous quest to fetch you a drink. Maybe my bravery will be the inspiration for an upcoming ballad."

With a final smile he walks away. I watch as he goes, studying every little movement; the way he slightly leans to one side when he walks, the way his eyes grow just a little bit whenever someone greets him, the way he spins the golden ring on his right hand while he waits for our wine.

"You sure look a lot less miserable than this morning." The sudden voice wakes me from my thoughts. I turn to see Rosie and Giselle smiling back at me. The soft lavender color of Giselle's gown compliments her dark skin. Her braided hair is tied together in a bun, decorated with tiny flowers, undoubtedly from her own garden.

"If I am to marry a man I don't know, I'd rather try to get along with him." I smile at them both. "Though I do admit he makes it fairly easy."

"Drink some more of the wine and all your worries will fade." Rosie giggles. "At least that is what it is doing for me."

"Though tempting, I doubt anyone would be pleased if I drunkenly accept the proposal, except for you two maybe."

Now, as it always has done, the presence of the girls cheers me up. Their merry laughs and bubbly air as contagious as a disease, one I don't mind getting. Their love for each other clear in their longing glances and the sneaky brush of their hands when they believe no one is looking.

The two lovers giggle to each other as they share a mischievous look. "I just remembered I still have some very important healing work to do."

"Yes indeed, and I have some very important late-night gardening planned." Giselle adds with a smirk. "I promise we'll be back in time for the speech."

With a final squeeze of my hand, the two of them run off, most likely in search of a hidden corner where their love can flow freely. I can't help but feel a bit jealous, aware that I will never get to experience a spontaneous love like theirs.

"They seem pleasant." Tolas remarks as he returns with our wine.

"I am quite fond of them. They might be my oldest friends."

"Then I will try to win their friendship as well." The prince says with a grin. "Would you care to introduce me to your other companions?"

I nod, eager to find Iliyana and her young daughter Danika. Though the crowd is thick, I spot the young child almost instantly, happily skipping around a table with the other children. Her doting mother watches fondly.

"Your Highness." Iliyana courtesies as we approach.

"Please ma'am, a friend of the queen does not have to bother with formalities. Just Tolas will do."

"It is a pleasure to officially meet you." She responds, obviously still unsure whether or not to forgo her etiquette.

"The pleasure is mine entirely." Tolas smiles with a bow. "And who might this little princess be." Danika curiously made her way to our party, now hiding behind her mother's legs with a thumb in her mouth. The girl giggles merrily at being called a princess.

"I'm no princess, sir." Her small voice squeaks. "But I sure would love to marry a prince one day and live in a huge castle. Even bigger than this one."

"You may not officially be a princess but you very much look like one, I dare say you are the prettiest girl at the ball. Any prince would be lucky to marry you." Tolas playfully states.

The prince's kind words fill Danika with a sense of pride. She stands up straight, her chest puffed out. Before she can respond, Iliyana quiets her. The whole room grows silent as my father makes his way onto the stage.

"First and foremost, I would like to thank each of you for being here today." His voice both tender and full of authority. "Riniya, Prince Tolas, if you wouldn't mind joining me up here."

I let Tolas guide me to the front, scared I might slip and make a fool of myself if I move on my own. Nerves once again course through my body. The reality of how close the end of my free existence is sets in. Though it takes mere seconds, the walk to my father feels like an eternity.

As my father finishes his speech, I realise I hadn't listened to a word he said. I had watched his lips part and form words, but I hadn't comprehended any of them. Before long Tolas takes my hands in his, slowly kneeling down. The guests are silent, scared that if they take their eyes off the kneeling prince for merely a second, the moment will have passed. With everyone so focused, breathlessly awaiting my response, no one noticed the man walking up behind my father. I look at my father once more, but the fond gaze his eyes had held not seconds before is no longer there. In its place is a look of confused horror as he stares down at the sword penetrating his abdomen. My mind is blank, too stunned to comprehend the situation at hand. I want to scream, cry, run, fight, collapse, anything, but my body is frozen. Just like the storm the previous night, lightning has struck, and it won't be long before thunder roars.

(A/N) Who do you think killed the king? Don't forget to vote!