Two pairs of shoes stop not too far from my hiding place. I can just make out their leather boots. By the sound of their voices one of them is only a child, no older than 13 if I had to guess. The other voice sounds older and more coarse. I carefully stretch a bit further and can now make out the hunting knives strapped to their belts. The older man grunts as he throws a bundle of rabbits to the ground.

"You can carry 'em for the rest of the walk" The man grumbles. I hear the sound of a match being lit, followed by a satisfied sigh and the smell of tobacco. The young boy complies and leans down to pick up the rabbits. Our faces are now in a direct line of sight. I try to crawl further behind the bushes but the movement alerts him. With a surprised look he spots me. His tan skin is streaked with dirt, his shoulder length brown hair pulled into a loose ponytail. I frantically shake my head at him, praying he doesn't expose me. Though I have no idea if they would harm me, it's a risk I cannot take. And if I am indeed being tracked by those awful creatures, my presence would only put the companions in harm's way. His honey-coloured eyes fill with a sense of worry but the boy abides by my pleas. With a subtle nod he stands. As he does he drops one of his knives, slightly kicking it in my direction. The two walk on but only a few paces further the boy suddenly stops again.

"I think I dropped my knife. You go on, Uncle. I will be right behind you." With that he dashes back towards my hiding spot. From the sounds of his footsteps, his uncle indeed decided to continue walking.

The child kneels before me and opens his leather satchel. He pulls out a smaller package, wrapped in linen cloth. With great caution he reaches the bundle out to me. I am slightly reluctant as I take it from his hands.

"We wouldn't have harmed you, y'know." He speaks softly.

"Maybe not," I smile sadly. "But you can't know what danger might have befallen you."

His eyes roam my face in search of answers, but he decides not to ask. "We're in the cottage just outside Coltown, if you change your mind."

"Conall!"

"I'm coming!" The boy–apparently called Conall–yells back. He quickly scrambles to his feet. He reaches for the knife but instead opts to push it further toward me.

"Good luck, miss." He says with a final glance before running after his uncle.

I wait for at least 15 minutes before emerging from the thicket. When I am sure they have gone I carefully unwrap the cloth. Inside I find a bit of dried meat, some grapes, and a small bread roll. I can't help but cry out in joy. The bread is stale but it hardly matters. Before I can completely devour the roll a gorgeous raven lands beside me. Though the animal looks starved, it has a certain air of magnificent beauty. Its gleaming feathers shine like black gems. I silently curse myself as I rip the remaining bread into smaller pieces.

"I suppose there is enough for two." I throw the food to the creature with a sigh. "Besides, I don't mind the company."

I watch the raven happily pick at the pieces while I nibble at the dried meat. My mind stays with the young boy who had so selflessly helped me. I could have gone with them. I could have let someone else go on this journey and just stayed hidden myself. My cowardice would be a burden I would carry around for the rest of my life but at least I would have a life. No matter how much I long to hide, my need for vengeance is larger. My kingdom, my friends, my father. I do not know how, but I know I will never stop until I avenge each and every one of those lost souls. I wonder if Tolas made it out. Maybe he is on his way to Othratha as we speak, raising an army to strike down the evil force that has invaded my kingdom.

The raven's cawing wakes me from my thoughts. Its beady eyes regard me curiously. The bread has all gone but the critter doesn't seem to mind. Instead it stares at me intently, as if it is asking me what's wrong. Though I know it is only a bird, I revel in its supposed kindness. After all, my tutors have always told me ravens are amongst the most intelligent birds.

"I will be okay, pretty bird." I remark softly. The words almost sound like a promise to myself. The raven puffs out its chest and croaks loudly, as if agreeing with its new nickname. The bird sits with me for a while longer before I decide to walk on. I wrap the remainder of the food back up in the cloth and stuff it down the front of my dress together with Conall's knife. As I get up the feathered beauty flaps its wings, disappearing into the trees not a moment later.

I walk on in silence. The sounds of the forest soothe me. It fills me with a sense of strange comfort, bizarre given the circumstances. By the time the skies darken once again and I can hear the owls hooting I decide to find a place to rest for the night. I opt to lay down in a soft bed of moss, underneath a large pine tree. My mouth is dry from the day without water, all I can do is hope I find running water soon.

Sleep does not come easy. I lie awake for the better part of the night. At one point I must have dozed off for I am awoken by the sound of a bird croaking right beside me. I turn my head to see the raven frantically cawing and flapping its wings at me. Its beak nips at my sleeve, pulling at the fabric as if he wants me to stand. Before I can question what's happening I hear it. The sound of quick footsteps coming closer. A foul smell fills the air, it is distinct, and yet I can't place it. I don't see any movement yet but I know they can't be far. The bird's shrill warning call continues as it hops between the trees, beckoning me to follow it. I run behind it until we stop at another tree. Its roots lay exposed, forming a small cave-like structure. The raven motions for me to hide and I crawl underneath the roots without question. Not a moment later I can make out the leathery skin and tattered rags of at least 7 goblins. The points of their spears and arrows reflect in the moonlight. Their beady eyes roam the dark forest, no doubt in search of someone. No doubt in search of me. I hold my breath, desperate to not make a single sound as the party shuffles near. 

A/N Do you think they'll find her? Comment your guess and don't forget to vote!