Chapter Twenty-Eight

After standing in the doorway for two minutes, I decided to storm to my room. Is he really going to choose her after we confessed our love to each other? I hope I misjudged the situation and he isn't cheating. The door opened and Shane rushed in behind me. He chased me to my door and I faced him. If I open the door, he will see all my stuff and know I live here.

"How long have you been cheating?" I asked, trying to hold back the tears. "Is that why you didn't want to get a place with me?"

"What? No. I'm eighteen, I want to party. It has nothing to do with Nicole."

"Then why did you pull away? You were all for moving at first."

"I'm just scared of living on my own, okay? I'm young and not ready to grow up yet."

"Not everyone gets that option. Enjoy it. Someone us were doomed from the start."

I felt the urge to cry and didn't want him to see me cry so I unlocked the door, went inside and tried to close the door. He put his arm up to stop it and looked in the room.

"Why is all your stuff here with you?"

"What were you doing with another girl?"

"Nothing happened between Nikki and I."

"Was something going to happen?"

"No. I love you. I dumped her. I was helping her drunk ass find the bathroom. She's in a bad place."

"Well, do you want me to be your problem or her?"

"You. She's history."

I sighed and stormed to my bed, allowing him access to the room. He looked around and frowned.

"Babe, what has happened?" He asked.

"Tina got arrested and Pete kicked me out last night."

"Last night? This is your second night here?"

"No. My first. My plan was to get beverages, not run into you hiding from me and cursing."

"Her heel stomped on my toe. It hurt. Still does."

I sighed. I sat on the bed and studied the totes, boxes and garbage bags

"I checked in here today."

"Where did you sleep last night?"

"The sanitorium." I whispered.

His jaw dropped. "What? Why didn't you call me, text me or come to the store?"

"I didn't want to worry you. I know you don't want to move, so I don't want you to feel pressured."

Shane shook his head. "That makes no sense, Tara. I love you. Someone would have let you in the house."

I shrugged and laid on my bed, facing away from him. He climbed in the bed with me and put his hands on my back.

"Tara, I was just helping a friend who is also an ex. We were at the same party and she was going to drive. I stopped her and brought her to the store."

"What if she took off driving?"

"Shit! I have her keys!"

I laughed. Shane got up and I chased after him, where Nikki was in the lobby.

"My parents are coming with my spare key you ass." Nikki scowled.

Shane dropped the keys in her hand and seconds later, her parents came in.

"Your keys are in your hand! You're drunk again, aren't you?" Her mother yelled.

"Shane had my keys." She pouted.