1.Garden Gossip

The manor gates opened to reveal a carefully manicured garden. There was a labyrinth of privacy hedges and in the center of it all were two stone statues, encircled by a bed of delicate roses. The statues stood with their backs facing each other. The stone women were quite lifelike; their flowing robes almost looked like fabric, and their closed eyes almost looked like they could open, but of course, they couldn't...they were made of stone.
The noontide sun shone on the manor garden and illuminated the statues, particularly the one facing east. The sunlight danced across her elegantly plaited hair and flitted across her eyelids, they fluttered and then opened. The statue studied the garden checking if it was empty, it seemed empty to her so she decided to speak to her companion.
"Psst...Thalia," she whispered.
"Yes, Maria?" Thalia replied while slowly opening her eyes.
"Are they gone yet?" Maria inquired, still unsure if the garden was empty.
"Oh Yes, they've been gone for quite a while", answered Thalia. Upon hearing this news Maria relaxed her posture, her back slumped forward and her grip loosened on the bouquet of sculpted roses she held in her arms
"Ooh, that explains why it's been so quiet", Maria said, coming to a realization. "Anyways, what happened on your side of the garden? Has the Duchess been carrying on that romance of hers?" Maria added with a smirk.
"She's actually found herself a new lover in the..." Thalia gasped to add melodrama "...servant boy"
Maria's eyes widened," The servant boy, oh how scandalous."
"During their encounter, they kissed, and it looked like the servant boy was trying to eat the Duchess alive," Thalia announced through stifled giggles. Maria joined Thalia and began to giggle too. Maria tried to speak, but her laughter would not let her, and she could only utter unintelligible sounds until finally, her laughter subsided, allowing her to say: I'm sure that was equal parts awkward and amusing. Thalia poised her lips to respond to her friend but stopped when she heard footsteps.
"Do you hear that?" Thalia asked in a hushed tone.