1 - Card World

In the cold winter months, the temperature plummeted and the heavy snow for several days turned the entire city of Jiangzhou into a world of silver.

School was off for winter vacation and the students had already returned home. Xiao Lou was sent by the department to attend an academic exchange. This meeting lasted until the 28th day of the 12th lunar month. Then after a day of rest, he packed his bags and flew back to his hometown to spend the new year with his grandparents.

As a child, his parents had been too busy working and Xiao Lou lived in the countryside for a while with his grandparents. He had been too young at the time and only had a vague memory of his childhood. However, he returned to his hometown every year during the Spring Festival because the New Year reunion was a tradition of the Xiao family. His father and uncle would bring their wives and children home to spend the new year together.

By the time Xiao Lou arrived home, it was the afternoon of New Year's Eve. He entered and his female cousin Xiao Xinyue greeted him with a smile. "Brother, why are you so late? Grandmother was just saying something about you!" She came over and whispered in Xiao Lou's ears. "She is asking why you aren't married yet."

Xiao Lou, "..."

Every New Year's Day at home, he would be urged by his elders to marry.

Xiao Lou was now an 'old, unmarried youth.' The 27 year old was still a single dog.

He went to school early and was admitted to medical school at the age of 17. After graduating from university, he stayed on as a teacher and became an associate professor at a young age. Xiao Lou was tall, had a gentle personality and looked very handsome. It was reasonable to say that he should be very popular in the blind date market...

Unfortunately, he studied forensics.

If a person heard the word 'forensics', they naturally thought of corpses. Who wanted to be with a man who dissected corpses every day?

In fact, Xiao Lou wasn't a criminal forensics investigator and there was no need for him to go to a murder scene to identify the cause of death.

After graduation, he stayed on at the medical university under the recommendation of his supervisor. He usually spent most of his time teaching students of the Forensics Department. In his spare time, he would go to the Jiangzhou Forensics Identification Centre to help. The cases sent to the identification centre were generally to identify car accident injuries, fighting injuries and occasionally genetic identification and poison identification. He hadn't seen a corpse in a long time.

***

Xiao Lou went to the living room and politely greeted the elders. He distributed the gifts to everyone and then his grandmother asked him with a smile, "Little Lou, when are you bringing a wife home to grandmother?"

Xiao Lou placed one hand on the old lady's shoulder and spoke warmly, "Grandmother, I am currently too busy at work. I want to wait until I am 30 to consider marriage."

Xiao Xinyue teased him from the side, "Brother, if you studied clinical medicine and went to the hospital as a doctor then you will definitely have many girls waiting in line to chase you. Now when they hear that you are a forensics doctor, most of the girls are scared away. Hahaha."

Xiao Lou looked at his cousin and smiled. "This is professional prejudice. A forensics doctor doesn't dissect living people. It isn't as perverted as horror movies. Moreover, I haven't touched a corpse in a long time."

Hearing the word 'corpse', Xiao Xinyue's scalp became numb and she immediately turned away.

They headed to the dining room and prepared to start the meal. Xiao Lou helped his grandmother sit down and changed the topic by asking Xiao Xinyue, "Do you have any idea what school you want to apply to next year?"