10. The Field of Tusks

[Art by me]

Alec and Cal turned toward the voice. No surprise to either of them, standing before them was none other than Sean. Alec couldn't help but feel slightly annoyed at Sean for interrupting them, especially as he was about to practice an attack. Nevertheless, the Elementalist smiled as if nothing happened. Fortunately, though, Cal seemed to have it under control. 

"Good morning to you, Sean," he started, walking towards the boy. "Not to be rude, but can't you see that we're in the middle of something right now?" 

"Of course," Sean said. "I'm not blind, you know." Taking a step forward, ultimately pushing the paladin aside, he patted Alec's shoulders in greeting before looking him up and down, his face lighting up. "Wow, look at you! You look great!" 

The corner of Alec's mouth curved upward. "Thanks! You really think so?" 

Cal cleared his throat, catching the boys' attention. "I hate to break you two up, but we really need to get started on your quests, Alec." 

It was almost as if Alec forgot about his quests altogether, as he looked at Cal with disappointment. "Oh, right." He then turned to Sean again. "Sorry, Sean." 

Sean waved his hand away. "Don't worry about it! Actually, I was wondering if I could watch you guys! Or, I don't know, maybe even give you some pointers?"

Alec cocked a brow. "What do you know of wielding a sword?" he asked. "You're a mage." 

"Yeh." Sean crossed his arms, rolling his eyes. "Sometimes you have to study it though." He paused, then said, "For fighting purposes, obviously. You know, it's important to predict what your opponent is going to do first so you can outsmart them. Just like knowing the pressure points of the thing you're fighting, whether that is a person or a—"

"Sean!" Cal butted in, stepping in between the two. He clasped his hands together and took a deep breath. "Don't you have anything better to do? Like a quest, for example? Perhaps even a dungeon? I'm sure that ruined temple needs some exploring, now wouldn't you say?" 

The mage flashed a smile. "That can wait! I'm in no rush." 

Cal just stared, looking tense, like he was holding himself back. However, rather than continuing to argue with the boy, Cal nodded slowly. "Okay. Do you feel ready to head out into the field, Alec?" It was clear now that Sean was here, that he wanted to get started as soon as possible.

Alec stripped his gaze away from the others to look out into the field. Near the coastline, he noticed some adventurers already battling the hulking beasts, though they were far enough away to where he couldn't hear the commotion happening. More skilled ones that were just passing through would give one slash of their weapon before the animal would collapse down onto the floor. Though, what surprised the boy the most was the fact that instead of lying there for eternity, the body of the wolf hybrid turned red until it shattered like glass. Those shards then followed the one who attacked it before fading away.

"Are you nervous?" Cal asked, after a moment of Alec not responding.

"Don't be so hesitant, my friend," Sean chimed in, wrapping an arm around Alec's shoulders, making him stumble. "These boarwolves are easy! They might look scary, but they're actually weaker than they look."

"Boarwolves?"

"Yeh. Like a boar and a wolf merged together."

"Alec," Cal said, raising his voice. "Are you ready to get started?"

Alec glanced at Sean before turning to his mentor. He nodded, and Cal's shoulders relaxed.

"Alright then. Come, we'll start over there."