20. A Crow Infestation

The following morning, Alec woke up with a sore back and an aching head. Nevertheless, he pulled himself out of bed and put on his clothes before heading to the tavern. The early morning sunshine colored the town in a sort of softness that brought Alec comfort, despite his homesickness. The words of his mothers from their letter echoed in the back of his mind. Their words of pride supporting and rewarding him of his accomplishments. Their words of encouragement for him to continue on with his training. Their words of longing, telling him that they missed him dearly. It all made Alec's heart hurt, but he persevered, and pushed them back in his mind as he walked into the wooden tavern. 

Adventurers, of course, where already there crowding the place, eating their breakfast. Callahan was already there, waiting for him at their usual spot. Alec sent him a glance before going up to the front to get a meal, getting a sinking, ill feeling in his stomach. He had to have still been angry with him about The Crab Prince. Alec couldn't blame him. If he was Cal, and just found out that his mentor was missing, only later to be seen fighting some giant, dangerous crab monster, he would've been furious, too. Perhaps he and Sean bit off more than they could chew. 

After getting a plate, he walked over to his table and sat down in front of his mentor. Callahan was picking under his nails when he got there, leaning back in his seat. He glared at Alec before looking back at his hand. "How're you feeling, sport?" he asked, a sort of sourness in his tone. 

Alec opened his mouth to reply but only closed it in response, looking away. He nervously tapped his fingers on the table before forcing himself to meet Callahan's gaze. "I'm really, really sorry, Cal," he said. 

His mentor smiled slightly in amusement. "What do you have to be sorry for?" 

Alec gave him a confused look. "About The Crab Prince?" 

"That wasn't your fault, Alec," Cal assured him. 

"But it was. It was mine and Sean's. We shouldn't have pestered with it. I shouldn't have gone out of boundaries without telling you, and--" 

"Alec, let it go," Cal suddenly snapped. "It's over. I don't want to hear anymore of it. Do you understand?" 

Alec held his breath before giving a stiff nod. "Okay..." 

"Good. Now eat your breakfast. We're going to do another dungeon today." 

Alec nodded once more, and picking up his fork with a shaky grip, he started to eat. 

__

Once he finished breakfast, Alec followed his mentor to the Waystone, where they teleported to the Snake Fields. Immediately, once they stepped off the platform, packs of green cobras were slithering toward them, opening their hoods and exposing their fangs. Alec tightened his grip on his sword and almost started attacking them, but Callahan stopped him with his voice. "Come with me!" 

Lowering his guard, though keeping his grip on his sword, he ran after his mentor, passing the hissing snakes as they went. Further into the village, they went toward a tall, wooden windmill. Alec stared up at it in awe, watching the propellers spin slowly. A pressure plates of sorts was on the ground near the entrance of a wheat farm, and when Alec stepped on it on accident, a portal opened up, catching him off guard. It must've been the doorway to his next dungeon. 

"Hey, I was heading there first!" Someone exclaimed behind him, and when Alec turned around, he was met with Elliot the defender's face being shoved toward his, wrinkling his nose in distaste. When he realized that it was Alec, he seemed to get more aggressive. "Move it, twerp." 

"Well, I'm the one who opened the portal," Alec angrily shot back.  

"Boys!" Cal's voice rose from the hissing and arguing, making the two young adventurers turn their heads. "What's all this bickering about?"