15. Snake Farming

[Art by me ^^]

The following day, early the next morning, Alec reread his finished letter before folding it into an envelope and taking it to the Pet Master.

In a month of being in World 1, Alec managed to explore the town that was in Crescent Cove, from the dock to the fields. Sean and Cal, as well as a few of the locals graciously showed the boy around as he studied the locations with interest. He had only just recently learned what Waystones were—at the edge of the platform, just before you head out into the fields, a stone with golden glowing engravings sat on a smooth base; recalling what Sean told him days prior, he described that Waystones are a teleportation platform for you to get from place to place on the island, or particularly whatever world you are in. However, to teleport, you must find the other Waystones first.

Alec would sometimes visit the Pet Master to look at the pets, though wouldn't buy one because he didn't have enough gold. There were some lounging about in the sun or playing in the sand by the time he walked under the overpass. Holding his letter in his hand, he turned towards the counter where a pet keeper sat, petting a dark-furred fox that sat beside her.

"Delivery?" she asked when she noticed the boy approaching.

Alec nodded and handed the young woman the letter.

After looking over the envelope, making sure there was an address on it, she put it aside. "Thank you, Alec. I'll get this sent out."

As Alec walked back into the middle of town, he considered what to do next. Sean left once Alec finished writing last night and mentioned that he would be in World 2 for the majority of the time getting ready for his last dungeon. Alec wasn't to train today, either, as Cal was gone taking care of his quests, too. So Alec was left with no choice but to grind for money for a while. Pulling out his scroll from his satchel, he looked through his list of tasks. There were his main quests and his side quests. Maybe he should work on those, and have Cal check them off once he got back from World 3. He already had his first two quests checked off: Defeat 5 Boarwolves and Defeat the Crabbage in Dungeon 1-1. Next on the list were slaying snakes, and completing the second dungeon.

Alec looked up and stared out into the field. There appeared to only be boarwolves and earth crabs in this area. Perhaps there were snakes further along the path, through the tunnel? There was only one way to find out.

Making sure that his armor was intact, and that his sword was unsheathed (he replaced his sword with one that he won from dungeon 1-1, selling his old one in hopes of getting some gold out of it), he stepped off the platform and made for the path. While it was fenced off, for the most part, that didn't stop the nearby boarwolves from taking notice of him, and once he stepped too close for comfort to the beast, chased him down the path until he was far enough away from their space. They only left him alone once he finally made it to the rock tunnel.

At this point, this was the farthest he's ever gone on the island. It was rather exciting.

Alec continued down the path. The cave shaded the sun, but there were some holes in the ceiling that caused a sufficient amount of light to come through. The vegetation was lush through here, with massive leaves on either side of the path. There were also small streams of bright blue water rushing through the tunnel. The walk through didn't last forever, as the exit came into view. Before a land with yellow grass and trees, with farms of wheat stored in fenced yards, a sign greeted Alec. The sign said Snake Fields.

From where Alec stood at the edge of the cave, it appeared to be a village of sorts, as wooden settlements were along the path. Other than a few more adventurers, the place looked pretty bare. Or it would've if it wasn't for the herds of green-scaled, hissing cobras practically dominating the area. They were practically everywhere!