t w e n t y - f i v e

It took a minute for us to break the kiss and another minute for everyone else to recover from it. Despite all the shocked expressions around us, Daniel grinned and tightened his grip around me.

I bit down on my lip to prevent myself from both smiling and yelling, "what the fuck?!" out loud.

Natalie was the first to recover. She sputtered out a few words. "Are you—Is this—When did—" Then settled on, "The fuck?"

Daniel chuckled, removing his arm from around me so he could take my hand instead. "I'd love to stay and chat, but we have to get going now."

Hyun jogged over. "What'd I miss?"

"Everything!" everyone chorused, asides from Daniel and me.

"Uh, Asher?" I said.

Asher blinked and shook his head to get himself back. "Yeah?"

"I'm sorry I couldn't stay for your birthday. But happy birthday, if it still counts." I smiled sheepishly.

His smile reached his eyes. "It's no problem. Daniel already apologized on your behalf and said you weren't feeling too well. Thanks though."

I shifted my gaze to the culprit beside me and he grinned. Gah. I wanted to kiss him again. And maybe punch him for being too thoughtful and cute. It would have sucked for Asher to hate me because I was a no-show to his party.

Daniel tugged on my hand. "We should go."

I nodded and after bidding everyone goodbye, he pulled me outside and towards his car.

Minutes later, I was in the passenger seat of Daniel's car and we were on our way to get dinner. This wasn't a date. Just casual. That's what we were.

But I couldn't pretend that he didn't just kiss me in front of his friends. Or that he didn't admit to falling for me. And I'd admitted it too.

Knowing that all this would end in two days made my chest tighten. Daniel, noticing my change in demeanor, put a hand over my knee and asked, "are you okay?"

I sighed. "I'm fine."

Daniel's moved his hand higher on my knee and squeezed it before moving it to the steering wheel. Even though my jeans, the heat still spread like wildfire. "You look—"

A continuous buzzing from my phone cut him off and made me groan internally. My mom's number flashed across the screen and I huffed before silencing the phone and putting it away.

Daniel's eyebrows furrowed. "You don't want to talk to her?"

"She's probably going to ask for more money, and I have none to give," I replied in defiance, slightly disappointed that she'd interrupted us for no good reason. It made me all the more pissed at her.

Daniel licked his lips. "How are you so sure."

"It's all she ever does." After I replied, I turned and stared out the window, at the setting sun and passing landscape.

A few moments of stretched-out silence passed between us, the space in my head consumed by thoughts and regret. This call from mom just reminded me of exactly why I wanted the money from Chanelle so bad.

My life was a mess. I was an even bigger mess. I thought the money would give me a clean slate to start on again. A fresh canvas to paint on.

But somehow, it managed to get stuck between a rock and a hard place once I got to know Daniel. And as much as it was a blessing, it felt like a curse. How was I supposed to break him?

Daniel broke the silence as he pulled into the restaurant's parking lot. "Have I told you how gorgeous you look?"

When I faced him, he had the widest smile on. It warmed my insides but I bit my lip. "I'm putting on a crop top, Daniel."