[ 63 ]

_______________
__________
_____

L E G E R D E M A I N

63

"The best mirror is an old friend

"The best mirror is an old friend."

???, Hungary
May, 2016

"SO, YOU'RE LIKE THE DEVIL?" Yelena questioned, looking at Lucy with a serious expression.

The engine to the plane shuttered off as Klause landed in a grassy field, surrounded by nothing but trees and a broad lake. There was a street a mile or so from where they were parked, at least according to Google Maps. He exited the piloting seat, looking at Lucy with a questioning look.

She facepalmed at Yelena's question.

For the past ten minutes they'd been in the air, Yelena had been relentless with her questioning. Some questions were genuinely curious, like can you meet the dead? Have you seen anyone you know in the afterlife? Innocent questions that made sense. Then there were the questions that Lucy was sure Yelena was only asking for laughs or boredom.

She'd been rightfully curious as to where the body of the dead Black Widow had disappeared to, and Lucy had let out a long sigh because she'd placed her in a casket that was sitting right there. How Yelena missed that was beyond her, especially when Natasha had given it a look of acknowledgement.

"No, I'm not a magical being, Yelena." She sighed with a shake of her head. "And I don't always drag souls to the worst part of Hel. I help certain indecisive souls make a choice. It's souls who I guide down a path, whether it's to the Field of Reeds–Heaven, remember–or the Fields of Punishment."

She cleared her throat.

"And I've only done it twice." She gave Yelena a pointed look. "Plus, I don't feel the need to raise the dead. So. . .we can continue this conversation later."

Lucy gave Yelena an amused smile as she huffed, nearly pouting. Lucy stood to her feet, placing a hand on Natasha's shoulder as she started towards the exit. Natasha's eyes fluttered open, having fallen asleep during the ride. She looked up at Lucy before standing to her feet as well.

Yelena grumbled under her breath as she stepped past Lucy, jumping the stairs of the exit as she landed swiftly on her feet. Natasha looked at Lucy with a raised eyebrow of confusion and Lucy placed a hand on the casket sitting behind the seat she'd been near. Natasha gave her a nod of understanding as she exited.

Lucy inhaled deeply, shutting her eyes as she drew the power of her soul, bringing it to her fingertips as dark shards whirled angrily across her hand. She let it swirl across the surface of the casket before causing it to float. She exited the vehicle with the casket floating along with her.