[ 68 ]

_______________
__________
_____

L E G E R D E M A I N

68

"Once is enough

"Once is enough."

???
RED ROOM
May, 2016

DREYKOV LOOKED SMUGLY AS HE examined Natasha. Lucy's heart stammered in her chest, because now that Natasha was here, she couldn't do much of anything. Klause was a liability, and Natasha was too. But Lucy would never hurt either. She didn't want to see either of them hurt. But it was always her fault, wasn't it? The blame always moved to her shoulders, guilty for things she didn't even know if she should be guilty for.

Dreykov smiled.

"Welcome home." He said as Natasha stood to her feet.

The Taskmaster drew a gun, pointing it at Natasha.

"Now, now," Dreykov dismissed her, "don't go breaking my new toy."

The Taskmaster slowly holstered her gun, remaining passive. Natasha clenched her jaw, before looking at Lucy again. That's why she'd been looking at her so much–it hadn't been a random Widow at all.

"You okay?" She asked, disregarding Dreykov's presence.

"Yes." She replied quietly. "You?"

Natasha's lips twitched upwards slightly, but they quickly jumped back down into a frown when Dreykov waved his hand.

The Taskmaster turned sharply and Lucy's heart dropped in her chest. She scooped Klause into her arms, turning and darting into the corner of the room. A gunshot went off near her foot and she winced as she hit the floor, curling over Klause protectively.

She squeezed her eyes shut when she heard the Taskmaster draw her pistol. She slammed it across her already injured back and Lucy cried out. But she refused to give up Klause.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she panted, "please, sorry."

Lucy had forgotten what embarrassment felt like, but god, she definitely knew what it was like now, but if Dreykov was going to hurt Klause again, she would beg for him not to.

She'd beg.

"–want to talk, you're going to let her and Klause go. Leave them alone. HYDRA has done enough–do you really need another weapon in your arsenal, when you have all of this?" Natasha's voice rang in the air, filled with hidden fury.

Dreykov smiled at her.

Lucy didn't open her eyes, holding Klause close to her as he grimaced in pain from the sudden movement.