[ 76 ]

_______________
__________
_____

L E G E R D E M A I N

76

"It has been known that love knows not its depth until the hour of separation

"It has been known that love knows not its depth until the hour of separation."

Hell's Kitchen, New York
July, 2016

LUCY DECIDED SHE WOULD NEVER step through the shadow realm with Nephthys ever again. It felt like stepping through a moving train of death, souls screaming and roaring in her ears, lasting for what felt like minutes, when it only lasted a few seconds. It was like having her body compressed yet stretched at the same time, and it was the most uncomfortable feeling she'd ever had.

And she never wanted to feel it again.

She shuddered, wiping the last of her vomit from her lips. She straightened, letting out a long breath as she eyed the alleyway they appeared in.

"She's on the fourth floor." The goddess stated, her voice soft. "Room 401."

She pointed to a building a few blocks down, and Lucy tried not to cringe at the rest of the bile which slipped down her throat. She gagged, muttering a small 'gross' to herself.

She turned her head back to look at Nephthys. The goddess smiled, patted her back with reassurance, then disappeared into the darkness. Lucy had half the mind to realize that she was leaving her, and let her mouth half-part in protest as she left.

Wait–did she say she?

"Shit." Lucy groaned, turning her head to look at the streets of Hell's Kitchen.

What was she protection detail now?

She padded forwards, stepping out onto the dark sidewalk. She pulled her hoodie over her head, gazing up at the stars for a split second. The lights twinkled brightly, and Lucy immediately missed the glow of Wakanda's skies. She shuffled forwards, shoving her hands into her pockets. What the hell was she supposed to do? Find James Wesley? Goddamnit, she should've just told James where she was actually going.

Or, she could treat this as a mission and get it done in an hour.

Easy.

She walked past a few passerbyers, leaning against the brick wall near a cookie store. She tapped her fingers against her leg. She hummed, thinking over her decisions. She did have a weapon at her disposal and it was way easier to be like that when she wanted to be efficient. She shrugged to herself, leaning off the brick wall and continuing down the road.

The Weapon stalked forwards, gaze focused on the floor. Her eyes traced the little cracks littering the cement, before she turned her head to stare through the windows of one of the buildings. She blinked, tilting her head. It was the apartment complex Nephthys had been referring to–the first floor would be locked.