C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N

THIRD PERSON POV

At last, the Razor Crest emerged from hyperspace and began its steady descent onto the planet Corvus. Mando initiated the landing cycle as Reina gazed out the viewport. "So this is Corvus? We finally made it."

"I suggest getting back to your seat, Reina, while we—Hey, what did I tell you?" Mando addressed the child, who was staring at the metal ball screwed onto the top of one of the ship's shifter controls, and wagged his finger at him. "No, you know better. Now get back to your seat, as well."

"Don't worry, I got him." Reina scooped the baby up and held him on her lap as Mando brought the ship in low, descending through a cloud layer thick with soot and smoke. Something terrible had happened, burning the land to a cinder and staining the air a contaminated shade of yellowish-brown. Reina frowned while she watched out the viewport. "I can't see anything. It's all hazy...What's out there, Din?"

"We're passing over the outer wall of the spaceport of Caladan. I'm going to land the ship within these trees."

"What trees?"

Mando brought the Crest down in a clearing of scorched greenery. Extending the rear ramp, he and Reina walked down and saw the child trundling along behind him, clutching something in one of his tiny hands. Mando realized it was the silver shifter knob from the ship's controls that the kid was eyeing earlier. "Hey, what did I say about this?" He took it from him and stuck it in his pocket.

"Din, I can't see a thing." Reina grumbled, rubbing her eyes. "The air around here is so hazy and muggy, I can't tell anything from 10 yards away."

"Hang onto me." Mando offered, then slipped the child into a pouch at his side. "Let's head for the town and see if we can find a lead on this Jedi."

"Lead the way."

When they finally reached the city gates, they were stopped by a man's voice booming, "State your business."

The couple raised their heads to find the man standing tall at the top of the wall. He had a coldness about him, his expression telling Mando that he was a man whose authority there were unchallenged, especially by strangers. Armed droids flanked him on either side.

Reina stood slightly behind the Mandalorian, clinging onto his cape for guidance. Mando subtly reached back and patted her hand, assuring her he'd do the talking. "Been tracking for a few days," he said. "Looking for a layover."

"Nice armor." the officer noted. "You both hunters then?"

"That's right."

"Guild?"

"Last I checked."

There was a pause, and for a moment Reina thought she'd have to plea her case for being silent. Luckily, the man on duty waved on. "Open the gate."

Once entering the town, Reina could see a little better through her unique sight, but she still had to use her imagination of her surroundings' true appearance. The streets were hushed and grim. Compared with the thriving city on Nevarro, everything about this place felt fearful and depressed....Townspeople slumped on the sidewalk, not bothering to glance up as the newcomers passed. If they did, they quickly crept down alleyways, retreating into the shadows. Whenever Mando approached someone to ask them about any information, they turned and hurried away.

"Din," Reina said in a hushed voice without glancing over her shoulder. "There are two guards following us."

"The magistrate wants to see you." The two bounty hunters turned to see two heavily armed men in uniform, just like Reina had warned. They were escorted toward the inner gate. Reina had to contain her composure as they came up to the path that was bordered by poles. Suspended on platforms were civilians, prisoners, who were forced to remain motionless on their feet surrounded by metal rings that crackled and snapped with high-voltage electricity. They groaned in agony, pleaing for help as she and Mando passed on by. Just before they were allowed to enter the inner gate, one of the guards stopped Reina.

"The magistrate only wants to see you, Mandalorian."

"Wherever I go, she goes." Mando stated.

"The magistrate insists."

"It's fine." Reina rolled her eyes at the guard. "Go on. I'll wait out here for you." Mando reluctantly nodded and slipped through the gate. Reina, alone, childishly stuck her tongue out at the guard who forbided her to enter and blew a razzberry, crossing her arms over her chest. She tried to avoid looking up at the tortured civilians only a few feet from her, staring at the ground at first. But temptation caused her to glance up and flinch at their anguish faces.

Her eyes began to focus on the metal electrical rings that zapped the victims if they leaned too close to them. She could see the bolts that locked them to the platform. With her arms still tucked, Reina's fingers stretched out on their own, her body rotating to hide them from the guards' view. Her brows furrowed as her eyes concentrated even more on a singular bolt. She almost gasped when she caught it trembling and a moment later, the metal piece shot out and directly into her palm. Her fist snapped close.

The metal rings deactivated and were no longer a danger to the exhausted young man who was trapped in the center of them, confusing the guards as they gathered to inspect. "It must've short-circuited."

Reina peeked down at her tight fist. She could feel the bolt digging into her palm. It was really there...She really did that...

"Reina?"

She was snapped back into reality as Mando touched her shoulder. "You okay?"

"Yep," she faked a smile. "What about you? What did the magistrate want? Don't tell me we have to go on yet another side quest."

"On the contrary," Mando's voice beamed. "she gave us the coordinates to find Ahsoka Tano and kill her."