Finite

"Mother" said Jay, pointing his wand at her.

Niki's eyes widened. Had he heard right? Had Jay just said mother? Were they in Jay's house?
None of it made sense to Niki. He didn't know what he should have expected to be honest, but this? He was shocked.

"Jay? Sweetheart, what are you doing here?" she asked, as her eyes kept going from Jay's face to his wand, pointed right to her chest. . "I wasn't expecting to see you until Christmas!"

Her tone was warm, and she was indeed smiling, but it was all fake.
Jay must have thought the same, because his wand was still pointed to her, and he wasn't shaking anymore. The son didn't speak right away. Instead, he planted his eyes in his mother's, trying to determine what he should do next.
Niki, on the other hand, wasn't part of the staring contest, which allowed him to analyse where they were.

The stairs lead to a large and well lit hallway, with hardwood floors and stones wall. Several doors were aligned, all of them were closed. There wasn't anything else to see besides that, no furniture, no carpet, nor window.

Is Jungwon there somewhere?  Maybe behind one of the doors?

"Why is your wand still up?" asked Jay's mother, catching Niki's attention.

"Mother, I am going to need some explanation from you" said Jay, dead serious. "Now."
"Explanation about what?" she asked, frowning.

The question seemed legitimate, however, her eyes didn't reflect surprise or any other emotion.

"Don't make me spell it ou" said Jay. "I'm not that patient."
"Are you insinuating that I did something I shouldn't have?" she asked. "I don't understand what's going on."

Jay closed his eyes. He didn't have time for this.

"Jungwon?" he shouted out loud.

No answer. The name just echoed through the walls.

"Jungwon?" she repeated, surprised. "Who is him? Jay, are you okay?"

Jay didn't answer. He was so sure Jungwon was there. Why didn't he reply? The walls were thick, but if she was hiding him in one of the cellars, then he should have heard him.

Was Jay wrong?

Had Jay really made Niki and himself break the schools rules, come all the way to his home and accuse his mother wrongfully?
Was she really innocent?

He was so sure of himself....

"Hum.. well, I'm so-" started Jay, soon stopping.

He had heard a muffled sound coming from the door next to his mother. Her widened eyes clearly showed that she had heard as well.

"What was that?" asked Niki, finally speaking.

A second of silence flew among them.

"I didn't hear anything" she said calmly. "Now, I will ask you to go upstairs. I'll arrange for you two to go back to school without any trouble. You shouldn't be here this late."

Niki didn't want to leave, and Jay's still posture showed the same mindset. There was definitely something going on inside the room, and Jay was decided to check it.

"We'll go back to school" said Jay. "Once we get to look inside the room."
"Jay, honey, please trust me" asked his mother. "And for the love of Gandalf, please put your wand down."

That was it for Niki.
"I'll open it" he said as as walked towards Jay.

Jay's mother moved, probably to stop him, but Jay intercepted her.
His wand was only a fee centimeters away from her chest now.