[Power Broker]

The Avengers made their way to Berlin, Germany to talk to Zemo. They arrived at a prison and were led down a corridor by a guard.

"He's just through that corridor," the guard informed, looking back to the three.

"Give us a sec," Madeleine replied as the guard walked away. "I'm gonna go in alone."

Bucky frowned. "I'm going with you, Maddi."

"No. Let me do this alone, please."

"Why?" Sam asked, looking Madeleine up and down as he pocketed his hands.

"Because you're an Avenger," she reasoned. "You know how he feels about that."

"It's not like you two were known for frolicking in the sun together."

"He was obsessed with HYDRA. We have a history together. I got it. Buck, I'll be fine."

Madeleine followed after the guard and as they continued down the corridor, it grew progressively darker. The guard said codes to the camera to get them further in and the door opened with a buzz. Madeleine went into the room. The walls seemed to have barbs sticking out. There was a glass door and wall. A rectangular ray of light shined on the ground, which held Zemo's feet and hands.

As Madeleine walked closer to the glass, Zemo began saying in Russian, "Longing. Rusted." He stood, revealing his face. "Seventeen."

Madeleine answered in English, "Those days are over."

"I know. I just wanted to see how the new you reacts to the old words." He walked up to the glass and studied Madeleine. "Something is still in there. But there is also a glow to you that only comes of carrying a child."

"Yeah, well..."

"At least you were not conscious for most of your imprisonment."

"That time wasn't exactly a picnic."

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry," Zemo apologized. "It was never personal. You were simply a means to a necessary end."

"Someone is recreating the Super Soldier serum. I need to find out who."

Zemo pointed at her. "You are assuming HYDRA has something to do with this, which is why you came to me, which means you are desperate. Luckily, I know where to begin."

As Madeleine went to leave, zhe turned back to Zemo. "What's the book you're reading?"

"Machiavelli," Zemo replied.

As she left, she pulled a tiny scroll from her pocket.

Madeleine tossed the scroll on a table and left.

She rejoined with Sam and Bucky and told them about an address she'd gotten from Zemo about a possible lead. The three looked around the warehouse with flashlights.

Madeleine glanced at Sam and Bucky before saying, "I want to break Zemo out of jail."

Sam shook his head. "What are you talking about? What do you mean you wanna break Zemo out outta jail? Have you lost your mind?"

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing." She looked around with her flashlight while trying to find a light switch.

"What we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars," Bucky reminded her.

"And we also have eight Super Soldiers that are loose."

Sam frowned. "Zemo is gonna mess with our minds, especially yours Maddi, and maybe Bucky's. No offense."