{1.10}

EDEN SQUINTED AS BEAMS OF light hit her eyes, immediately closing them up completely to avoid it. She, once somewhat out of a half-asleep state, sat up in bed with an aching pain in her back. She stretched out her arms and each of her aching fingers, a clicking sound echoing around the room.

"Morning," Newt, who had just walked into the room, half laughed as he took in her pillow-fried hair and still heavy eyes.

"What time is it?" Eden asked, voice still somewhat clouded with sleepiness. Her arms seemed to hurt less than before, they were less shaky but still had a certain aching factor.

"Just gone midday," he replied, glancing out of the open bedroom door and towards the larger room of the homestead, where meetings were held.

"Did I miss anything?" she cleared her throat, watching as he leant up against her bedroom wall while being careful not to crease any of the papers on her wall.

"No. I was just coming to wake you for a meeting." Eden, in response to this, swung her blanket covers legs round, pulled off the blanket then stood in rapid movements. Due to this sudden change in the placement of her body, she stumbled forward and ended up falling directly into him. They both laughed as he caught her, Eden tilting her head back to avoid colliding with the wall. "Need a little help there Pepper?" he chuckled, shuffling his grip on her back so that she was better supported.

"Oh don't be so condescending, Newt," she laughed softly, pulling off of him completely. She walked across the room, slight achiness within her knees and pulled a thin jumper over her head as the open door had brought a chilly wind. They both quickly walked to the Homestead, not wanting to miss a second of Gally's rant. Since they were usually ever so entertaining.

"Things are changing," Gally began as soon as she entered the room, soon followed by Newt. Eden walked to the front and sat down with her back leaning up against the wall. "There's no denying that," he continued, something which Eden did not pay much attention to as she was far too distracted by a conversation with Frypan. "First Ben gets stung in broad daylight and then Alby. Now our Greenie here, has taken it upon himself to go into the Maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules."

"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life," Fry interrupted before the many others who were thinking the same thing could get in a word.

Gally scoffed, crossing his arms across his chest arrogantly, "Did he?"

"Where you there, Gally?" Eden asked with a fake look of curiosity plastered onto her face, peering up at him with a tilted head.

"For three years, we have co-existed with these things and now, you've killed one of them," Gally continued with his prosecution, pointing to Thomas accusingly. "Who knows what that could mean for us?"

"What do you suggest we do?" Eden's voice came loud and somewhat echoed around the Homestead. Despite the fact she was sitting on the floor, the shortest of them all, she clearly had the most power in decision making and knew how to 'work' the room - so to speak.

"He has to be punished," one Glader yelled and eventually all the others seemed to agree, cries of outrage echoed around the room and fueled a headache within her mind.

"Minho..." she trailed off, the room completely quietening again. "What do you think?"

Minho sighed, contemplating his reply for far too long, "I think, in all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a Griever before... I say we make him a runner."

Eden smiled discreetly and looked to Thomas, who was also smiling intensely and awfully covering it up. Cries of outrage yet again filled the room completely. Newt laughed to himself while he looked to her for an answer, wriggling his eyebrows as he watched the gears turn within her mind.

Before she could get her verdict out to the crowds of people, an all too familiar (to all but one) whirring echoed around the entire glade. Then, the quick and almost head-scratching beeping of alarms reached their ears, "Is that?"

"The box!" Chuck yelled, saying the one thought on everyone's mind. Within seconds, everyone but Eden and Fry had scrambled up from their various places around the Homestead so they could run toward the box. Fry stayed to help her up from the floor and after that was done, they both headed outside to the box.

By the time they arrived, the box was already open and a crowd ( which she pushed through easily) had surrounded it. "It's a girl," Newt announced with pure astonishment written all over his face. "I think she's dead."

"Check for a pulse, side of her neck," Eden suggested quickly and watched intently as he did so. He nodded quickly, showing that there was a pulse present. At least she wasn't dead.

"What's in her hand?" Gally then asked, gesturing to the rolled piece of paper in the girl's hand that Eden had not seen before.

Newt collected the paper quickly and unravelled it, reading off the paper, "She's the last one, ever." Soft mutterings surrounded the Glade whereas Eden was completely silent, chest heaving more frequently than before.

The entire group instantly fell silent as the girl gasped and sat up, chest heaving so frequently Eden thought her lungs could burst. "Thomas!" the girl yelled somewhat, the breathiness of her voice interrupting the volume of her voice. She then proceeded to pass out, head hitting the metal of the box with a thud that caused Eden to wince.

The sound resonated something within Eden's brain. It wasn't instant, like a clicking. It was more like trying to find a single puzzle piece in a box, which you first put in wonky then finally turn in the correct direction. "Oh!" she exclaimed, crowd falling silent. She turned to the lab in the distance, plan formulating quickly within her mind. "Holy Clunk!" she turned to run away, the crowd of boys behind her parting instantly. "Newt, you're in charge!" she yelled before getting too far away, leaving the rest of the Gladers chuckling with confusion.

"I think she just figured something out," Thomas observed, watching Eden sprint to the lab as many others did.

"Really? You would never guess," Frypan countered, voice laced with irony. The rest of the guys chuckled before their attention was drawn to the passed-out girl once more.

Eden crashed into the lab, heading straight for her desk and the collection of blood samples that lived in the cooled compartment underneath her desk. She pulled out Thomas's sample, now nearly completely dry, then pulled out Ben's most recent blood drawing before his death.

Thus began the making of the millionth batch of a hopeful cure/vaccine.