ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

CHAPTER TWELVEʟᴀɴᴅsʟɪᴅᴇ☾

CHAPTER TWELVE
ʟᴀɴᴅsʟɪᴅᴇ

By thursday evening, Rosalie wasn't ready. She didn't ever think she would be ready to meet the human who had stolen her brother's heart. Wouldn't be able to accept the fact that their dynamic was changing, becoming riskier. Only briefly had the thought sprung upon her that maybe it was about time they became more ingrained within the human world. They were already enrolled in high school, collecting diplomas as easily as dust, with Carlisle performing medical procedures as if the scent of blood was simply unpleasing rather than something his being was supposed to crave so desperately. But those thoughts had been shaken off too swiftly and with too much ease because Rosalie wasn't ready.

She wasn't prepared for the change, wasn't prepared to risk all they'd built for one human girl, no matter how pretty and how charming Edward might find her. Forks was their home so long as they kept control. It was written into the treaty that let them remain there and return again, and the shapeshifters were getting close to their trails, no doubt growing wary of their actions. It almost made her feel claustrophobic, those thoughts of everything going wrong too rapidly.

Bella's scent had already become familiar, enveloping her brother and all of his possessions like a perfume. The scent now was overpowering as the girl made her way through the house on the floor below. Rosalie closed her eyes and tucked further into herself, arms wrapping smoothly around her knees. Emmett sat beside her, his baseball being tossed from hand to hand. Something about the dull, rhythmic sound was comforting, grounding. Just like Emmett.

"It's alright, Rosie. Edward told you to take all the time you need," he said, eyes flitting to watch as she fussed with the opal ring on her middle finger. He knew she hated that nickname. It was likely that he wanted her to snap at him, remind him of the fact that it was too ugly sounding, but she didn't and he frowned.

"I know, it's just... it's all too fast," she muttered, trying hard not to zone in on the conversations that happened below.

Emmett let out a hum and grabbed her hand in his, stopping her fidgeting. It didn't stop her thoughts though.

Rosalie didn't understand Edward. She listened to him, sure, to all his arguments and the desires he spoke about so plainly, but she didn't understand him, couldn't comprehend how he could be so reckless. Rosalie would never do as he was, would never bring a human to the house, would never introduce Violet to her family as if it was an initiation.

But that was different, wasn't it? Violet was not like Bella. Her blood and Violet herself did not call to Rosalie, making her desperate in need, like Bella was to Edward. Rosalie did not want Violet in the way Edward wanted Bella.

But didn't she?

No.

Rosalie's mind whirled at miles to the second. Too fast for her to keep up. She couldn't think like that. Couldn't think of Violet and her gingery brown hair and her infectious laugh at a time like this. Not even when it was the only thing that could calm her down.