chapter nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN
everyone knows but you

Violet struggled to hold back a groan. The garage was loud, the sound of summer rain bouncing against the metal roof and the fixed radio playing from the office merging into noise. Her dad stood by the door, tinkering with something in his toolbox, which was resting against his stomach, and Celia was sat in the back of the jeep, hot coffee nursed between two hands. Such a mixture was never good news.

"If you like her, why don't you say something?" Her dad said, tone suggesting it was the most obvious solution. But Robbie Green most certainly didn't understand the problem with confessing her feelings to Rosalie Hale.

"If I did like her, there's no guaranteeing she'll like me back," Violet said, shaking her head. "I'm not going through that embarrassment."

Celia perked up from her spot in the truck, eyes wide and mischievous. Already, Violet didn't like where the conversation was going. How they'd gotten onto the topic of Rosalie, she didn't know, but Violet wanted nothing more than for the interrogation to end.

"What do you say, Mr Green, should we make a bet?"

"20 dollars says she feels the same," Robbie said, speaking straight to his daughter as if to prove a point.

Violet let out a large huff. "How can she feel the same when you don't even know how I feel?"

Her dad strolled over, his face filled with amusement as he bent down to place a kiss on her head. "It's pretty obvious, Vi."

"I'm not betting against that. There's a ninety-nine per cent chance I'd lose," Celia announced, taking too much enjoyment from Violet's suffering.

She glared lightly at her friend, folding her arms in front of her chest. The act made Celia laugh, almost spilling the coffee over her lap.

Violet finally let out the groan. "Both of you need to leave. You're not being here when she comes. Not with that attitude," she said, beginning to push her dad from the workshop before turning back to Celia.

"Our company might actually make this go somewhere," her friend said. Violet stopped still, face deadpanned.

"Celia, I love you, but no," she said, taking the coffee, and placing it on the floor before dragging the girl by her elbow. "Or should I mention your stint with Emmett at the dance?"

"I'll leave you girls to it," Robbie shouted from the doorway, shutting the metal grates as he returned to the office.

The two paid him little attention, glares playfully shared. Violet lifted her chin, daring Celia to respond. Some part of her loved this. Their friendship was going somewhere it never had before, sharing things about other people they liked. Thinking of Rosalie excited her and she wanted to share that with Celia- when the time was right.

Celia gave an exaggerated gasp. "You're cruel."

"Hmmm. Two can play the game."

Celia gave her a massive grin, looking past her shoulder. It was the opposite reaction to what Violet was expecting. But Celia pushed past her, heading toward the back door with a bright face.

"Rosalie, hi!"

Her words made Violet pale. She trusted Celia, but not enough to not let something slip accidentally. With a spin on her heals, Violet turned to the too, spotting Rosalie by the doorway. She seemed unsurprised to see Celia, her face taking the simple, same look it always did. Violet took her friend by the shoulder.

"Celia was just leaving."

"That's alright," Rosalie said, shrugging so slightly that it was almost undetectable. She held out her hand and Celia took it swiftly. "Nice to meet you."