chapter twenty one

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
the aftermath

Everything changed after the kiss.

Rosalie felt human again. She felt perfect. Young. Free. This is what her life would have been like if she'd never been turned- living every moment like it was her last, kissing pretty girls like there was no prejudice and loving like there was no need for restraint. It was just for the summer, she had to remind herself, but it was a summer she'd remember for the rest of her eternal life.

"Rosalie!" The call came from outside of the house. The excited look on her sister's left Rosalie worried before she sprinted down the stairs and stepped out onto the wide veranda to find Violet sitting in her truck with the window down. For once, she was early. Rose was surprised she'd been able to find the house. "Miss Rosalie Hale, your carriage awaits."

Alice stepped out behind her and Violet seemed to shrink back into her seat. She sniffed the air, sensing the warmth of her blood, exaggerated by her blush. Rosalie left her sister by the door, hopping down the steps to lean into the Jeep through the window.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think your family would be here."

"This is their house, where else would they be," Rose said, arms folded against the door ledge, face leaning dangerously close to hers.

"Shut up."

"Come meet them."

She could practically feel Alice's excitement. From up in his room with Bella, there was no doubt that Edward would wince against the loudness of her thoughts.

"Meet them?"

"You don't have a choice," she said, opening the door and almost dragging Violet from the truck. "Alice has already decided it's happening."

She could hear the rising patter of her heart. She's nervous, Rosalie realised. Briefly, she wondered if Bella had been the same when she had met the family. But that had been different. Bella had known it all, had met them with the idea of continuance. This was different.

As Violet stepped up to stand in front of Alice by the door, Rosalie tried to control herself first. Her thoughts and her expressions. They all knew already, of course. She had done a poor job at hiding her feelings for Violet Green.

"Hi, I'm Alice," her sister chimed. Rosalie could see the slight inhale of her nose as Violet stretched out her hand to shake. Alice ignored her and wrapped her in a hug. "You smell good."

Violet flushed, gave a glance to Rose that had her smiling, and said, "thank you. It's nice to finally meet you, Alice."

"Finally, I know," Alice said as she took her by the arm and steered her into the house. "I was beginning to think we'd have to wait the whole summer before we could meet you, but then Rose says you're going to college, so that would never work either."

Rosalie could hear the pointedness in her sister's voice. She was unimpressed and Rose knew exactly what at. The lack of time she would get with Violet annoyed Alice almost as much as it did Rosalie. But this was the way.

The Cullens' home was beautiful, with walls made of glass wrapping around to create a panoramic view of the forest beyond. It almost looked like a painting, hiding behind a transparent cover, blooming with vibrant greens. Rosalie had said her home was big, but she'd never thought it would be like this.

Her family was waiting in the kitchen, gathered together sweetly around a spotless island, a single plate of food resting in the middle. She could smell the cake before she even reached the end of the corridor. Violet could recognise most of the Cullens. Alice stood by the door now, smiling at her gently, beckoning her in.