Today: June 13, 2022

TODAY
JUNE 13, 2022
A Letter For Emira
and Memory

Ms. Emira Camado,

Today, the skies are grey like they are grieving with you. The clouds looks so heavy like the thing in your chest. The thunders are roaring just like how your voice can be heard loud and clear in spite of the swarm of people. The cold breeze of the wind is trying to comfort your broken soul, but you seemed not to notice it.

You stand in the small platform for delivering your final words; your eulogy.

"M-Memory... is my warmth," you stated, not even in the half of your speech, you already crying a bucket that Lily had to go above the the platform and hug you to calm you.

"You can stop if you can't," Lily whispered to you.

"No, I must do this," you answered and grabbed the microphone again and you face these guests you can barely see the face and remember their names. You heave a deep sigh trying to calm yourself. "I am Emira, Memory's wife... one of those who left behind."

You almost lost it when you see how your beloved passed away husband's mom cried the tears you know she's supressing for the whole long week of grieving. History just remained watching at you, resting his entire body to your father, to his grandfather.

"We met way back in high school and to cut the long story short, he courted me for more than a year. I never really liked Memory before. I said to myself, I don't want to be with a soldier, I might left alone any moment... and I see that what I said was never wrong...

You know, when Memory told me that he'll be sent out in that mission, the first thing thay came to my mind was to disagree. Thoughts flooded in my brain, I was overthinking. What if he got stucked in the war and can no longer go home in one piece? We cannot talk to each other for God knows how long. We are miles apart. We are—"

You stopped and covered your face. Lily gave you a bottle of mineral water with a straw to keep you calm, but it seems like everything you are bottling inside came out. You had enough, you exploded.

"W-We are far away from each other without knowing the possibilities of the situation, but when I looked at his desperate eyes, willing to take part of the said war, I couldn't say no. I couldn't disagree. It was his dream since he was a kid, even before he met me, and who am I to be a hindrance?"

History turned his back against you and hugged his grandfather as he cried on his grandfather's chest like he's feeling your pain, everything you're feeling.

"E-Even if Memory didn't make it, I am really sure he's happy with his achievement. He used his life well. I know he won't die in vain and for nothing. He won't leave me and our kid, History like this. Maybe... maybe somewhere in alternate universe, we are meant to be with each other for a little longer. I will never get ashame to tell everyone that I am now Emira Camado-Tredor, married Memory Tredor's cold body, a mighty soldier who died for his country."

You put a ring on your finger, head held high, proudly presenting to everyone the ring you found in Memory's cabinet with a little note saying, 'You are the only woman I will choose to marry'.

"Yo, Memory, you are the only man I will choose to marry. I will always talk to the universe and tell them stories about my love to you. You did well, my soldier. I will be fine... soon... for you."

─────────────────────

Mr. Memory Tredor,

You are a mightiest soldier in your wife's eyes. You will always be alive in her stories. Your letters has delivered and arrived safely.

So long, soldier.

─────────────────────

MEMORY
Epistolary #2
written by: asereneko

fin.