Ten

Elvis

I pull up to a pastel yellow, mid-century home. With lovely shrubs and a stone pathway leading up to the front door. This gal done did it all at this point and she's a year younger than me. She still remains incredible. She's much smarter than me, that's for damn sure too. I do a quick U-turn toward her house and honk.

As I park right in front of her door, I do my usual honking to a tune for her. It feels like I'm at the edge of my seat. I've got a front row ticket so see how much lovelier she's become. It feels like hours until I see the front door crack open. I'm sweating more than a sinner in church. She walks out confidently and shuts the door behind her.

Lord have mercy, she's stunning. She's left me breathless. As she places her keys in her mini cream purse she looks up at me. I'm frozen and can't say a damn thing. Her smile is small but she struts her way to me. As I thinking how graceful her hips are, she stops at the passenger car door.

"Hi again.." she says in the sweetest, low tone.

I manage to pick up my jaw from the floor when I realize, I need to open the damn door for her! I park the and grab my door handle when she stops me. She holds back a giggle.

"E it's alright! Why make you get up?" She reassures with her full smile on.

Sheepish I let go of the car handle as she gets in. She had a pair of mustard oval sunglasses on top of her head. She puts them on after clipping in her seatbelt. I watch her as she does all this in awe. She looks ahead for a moment then turns to me. Her brows furrow slightly, confused.

"Is something wrong?" She murmured lifting her sunglasses up from her eyes. We meet eyes again.

I snap out of my wonder. I shake my head no. Two seconds in and I'm already worrying her again.

"I'm - I'm sorry Audrey. I was just awestruck for a second, forgive me. It's great to see ya again." I blurt out still looking into those big, brown eyes.

Sheepish, she smiles small and sets her sunglasses on again.

"It's great to see you again too, E." Her eyes flutter as she smiles showing off her pearly whites.

That smile of hers. She's got me actin goofier than I've ever felt before. All it took was her sweet smile. I'm revved up with excitement - I wanna show her off. But where?

"Have ya eaten?" I ask again, expecting the same answer from earlier.

She laughs, "I forgot to drink my coffee!"

I roll my eyes smiling. "Coffee does not equal breakfast, Audrey."

She scoffs giggling out. I grab my pair of black sunglasses and start driving, still unsure of where to go.

"I'm guessing you'll get noticed anywhere we head to. But I am getting a little hungry..." She reads my mind.

The good thing is she finally admits she's hungry. She has a habit of not eating much, I've always been protective of her eating around me. Whenever I eat, she eats and just as much. I'd rather have her healthy than just bone.

"You may be right, but at least you're hungry. That's a start." I declare.

I can feel her gaze looking over at me. I tense up trying not to show it. I hope she likes what she sees. The fame hasn't changed me, or so I pray.

I stop at a red light, hoping it'll help me think of a place. It is basically lunch time. I look down at my Ventura watch. A little after noon. I may have been staring at her a bit too long - no wonder we're both starving. As the light turns green I press on the gas and clear my throat.

"How bout we head over to the Arcade Restaurant?" I play it safe with one of our old favorite go-tos.

She smirks almost expecting this answer.

"You read my mind. And I just know you'll order a peanut butter n banana sandwich with bacon." She exclaims looking out her passenger window.

"What can I say? Ya know me." I chuckle out. She joins me with a soft giggle.

Fighting every thought I have to stop the car and stare at her, I keep driving. Safely, since I got precious cargo this time. It's been a hell of a long time too.

__________
Audrey

Acting natural as I can while inside Presley's Cadillac has been the most difficult thing I've done in a long time. I've made a few attempts to look over at him. But every chance I have I get caught. I did manage to get a glimpse of his turquoise v neck shirt and cream blazer. I'm certain he had black dress pants as well. And of course, his pompadour fluffier than ever. He's handsome as always. I still try to play off my gaze by looking out the window.

We're heading to our old hang out spot, the Arcade Restaurant. My, my, nothing's changed. Looking out the window, I notice we're not too far from the restaurant. Every street we pass is still fresh in my mind from our rides as teenagers.

Looking over to him every now and then, he looks so relaxed and happy. Just getting to gaze at him up close again brings a smile to my face.

We pull up to the restaurant and park. We arrived so fast. As he turns off the car we both look at each other realizing the radio was never on. We laugh in unison as we take off our sunglasses, unbuckle and head out the car. I can finally get a better look at him!

He walks over to my side of the car looking at me up and down. I do the exact same. He towers over me now. A lot more than ever before. I couldn't help but laugh out as he got closer.

"You look fantastic doll. You haven't aged a bit!" He exclaims smiling.

I can feel my cheeks burning. He's already making me blush. Trying to change the subject I look up at him emphasizing how tall he is.

"Did ya have another growth spurt?! You're toppling over me!" I giggle out. Damn it, stop it Audrey.

He smiles running a hand through his hair.

"You look dashing as ever, E. And I know you know it." I say watching his smile turn into a smirk.

"It only matters if you think so." He chimes in.

"Oh, what a charmer you still are." I reply armed and ready.

He chuckles and takes one more look at me. He shakes his head smiling as if he's holding something back. He takes a step back motioning to the restaurant.

"Lead the way Miss Audrey." His southern accent is ever so charming.

I start heading toward the restaurant with Elvis right by my side. So far, no crowds have spotted us yet. Let's hope it stays this way.

_________________

Narrator

The two walk over to the Arcade Restaurant close together, side by side. Elvis keeps both hands in his pockets, holding himself back from grabbing her hand. He wants to, dearly. But he doesn't want to upset her. Unbeknownst to both, each wanted to hold the other's hand. They were just too bashful.

Elvis was infatuated with her all over again and Audrey was just as head over heels for him. Both wondered what this would lead to. But they were pretty hungry, so the first goal was to sit down and order.