Fifteen!

Monday Evening
__________
Marie

I try my best to sneak into the office area of the hospital. My heels are clicking ever so slightly on the sanitized floor. I slowly shut the office door behind me still hoping to go unnoticed. Quietly, I make my way past the cafeteria area. Thinking I just got away with everything, I hear laughter coming from the cafeteria area.

"Audrey is that you!??" One of the doctors shouts out.

I sigh and step backwards to the cafeteria's doorframe and make eye contact with the few doctors sitting around. I smirk leaning on the doorframe. One of them looks down at their watch.

"You're not late. Hell, you're early... Early makes more sense." He chuckles.

"Hello Doctor Murphy." I stick my tongue out still smiling at them.

"You seem chipper than usual today. In that case, once you're settled in feel free to look over some observations and statistics. Afterwards, we can call it a good day." He switches his focus over to the newspaper in his hands, specifically the crossword puzzle.

"You got it!" I head back to my workstation. I'm trying to keep it mellow and inconspicuous. I feel like I'm holding onto a secret. As if I know Batman's true identity kinda secret.

I know E doesn't mind if word gets out. But, still. He's cautious over anything that may come our way, probably from our first time together. I snap back to reality and realize I'm at my desk.

Great, already distracted and I haven't even started my day. I set my things down and pull my lab coat off my office chair. As I slide it on, I'm forcing myself to get into work mode.

If only I was still at home with Pelvis running a muck. I grab a few last items from my desk and off I go to the research room. This is gonna be a long day.

____________________
Elvis

I'm bored flipping through tv channels in the media room. I check the clock on the coffee table, Audrey must be at work by now.

I miss her.

Fed up, I turn off the tv and stretch out before getting up. Having hundreds of channels with nothing on is something else. Apart from recording, I should be prepping to go to Hollywood for the next movie. But I'm not entirely convinced of the script. Shaking away those thoughts, I slowly make my way to the living room.

I pick up a guitar along the way. I plop down on the couch and play a few strings. It's only been a few days and the gal's got a hold on me already. I close my eyes for a moment picturing Audrey's beaming smile while  strumming my guitar.

Just as I open up my eyes, I realize Joe was standing right in front of me. Lord knows for how long. I roll my eyes and scoff.

"Can I help ya?" I mutter out.

Joe chuckles and shakes his head.

"Something's up, man. I just know it!" He sits right down beside me.

"Man, nothing's up! I've told y'all!" I blurt out shaking my head.

"You've been covering your tracks for days, E! Come on, whatever it is you can tell us. Or just me." He chimes in with a smirk.

I lean my head back on the couch and stare at the ceiling. A part of me wants to tell him I found the real girl I left behind after all these years. But the other part of me wants to protect her with all that I have.

"I'm fine Joe. Honest. I'm just a bit - distracted lately." I blink a few times trying to make myself believe my own response.

Joe shakes his head and slaps my arm playfully. He points to the front of Graceland. "There's a ton of girls outside the gate I bet. If you're bored you could have just said that!"

I shake my head and go back to strumming the guitar. "Not today, Joe. I ain't feelin' it."

Joe throws his hands up in frustration. "Well, you enjoy handlin' that guitar then. I'm gonna ask Mary to cook me up some grub." Joe gets up and heads off to the kitchen.

Setting aside my guitar on the couch, I clutch my hands together and sigh.

I turn around and pull part of the curtain back. I stare out toward the front gate of Graceland. Joe was right, women surround the gate's entrance. Damn it, Joe.

——————
Narrator

Elvis sighs deeply as he stares out the window. Temptation dances in his mind. All while the thoughts of what he desires now and what he desires in the future clash in his mind. He runs his right hand through his hair still thinking.

At this rate, he may sprain his neck for how hard he's been staring off into space. Staring at completely nothing and yet thinking about everything.